Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with windows installer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DConroy

DConroy

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Hi, When trying to install/repair/uninstall programs with Microsoft installer it manages to go to the "updating component registration" part of installation but then gives me an error saying "there was an error creating a temporary file that is needed to complete this installation." So far i have attempted to reset Microsoft installer, Clean booting the system didn't work either, I have made sure windows installer is set to automatic and started in services and i have tried deleting all the files in my temp folder and running the instaaller again but none of this has worked. This issue prevents me from installing any new programs on my system and I am very annoyed with it, any help you can offer is much appreciated, Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DConroy

DConroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

bump

#3 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hello,

I'm not exactly sure what your trying to say. The windows installer, or msiexec.exe, is used to install programs that use the MSI extention. These can be found or downloaded as *.msi or *.exe files known as wrappers, because they contain the MSI file inside and are just launched as an executable.

Only properly written msi packages, which support repair, can do what you noted. All "should" install and uninstall properly but repair or other features might not be supported depending on the tool used to make the package and the developer who created it.

Are you trying to do this from the command line or from the "uninstall" window?

What is the application your trying to install, repair, or remove?

Regards,
Zen

#4 DConroy

DConroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hello,

I'm not exactly sure what your trying to say. The windows installer, or msiexec.exe, is used to install programs that use the MSI extention. These can be found or downloaded as *.msi or *.exe files known as wrappers, because they contain the MSI file inside and are just launched as an executable.

Only properly written msi packages, which support repair, can do what you noted. All "should" install and uninstall properly but repair or other features might not be supported depending on the tool used to make the package and the developer who created it.

Are you trying to do this from the command line or from the "uninstall" window?

What is the application your trying to install, repair, or remove?

Regards,
Zen

I'm having this issue with every single .msi executable and with java updates too, If it helps it's error 1336.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Please...post the exact wording of the error message...and tell us when the error message appears during an attempted install.

Louis

#6 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'm having this issue with every single .msi executable and with java updates too, If it helps it's error 1336.

If that was the windows install error it means; The access control list (ACL) structure is invalid.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list

Has anything happened that could/did change either your account, system, or file permissions?

#7 DConroy

DConroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

If that was the windows install error it means; The access control list (ACL) structure is invalid.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list

Has anything happened that could/did change either your account, system, or file permissions?

Sorry for the late reply,I dont remember doing anything that could have changed the account system or file permissions though.

#8 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

You still haven't reported how your trying to launch/install these or the commands used.

A word for word copy of the error messages should be posted along with the above.

#9 DConroy

DConroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

You still haven't reported how your trying to launch/install these or the commands used.

A word for word copy of the error messages should be posted along with the above.

I am just double clicking the .msi executable. I get the error when I try to uninstall via control panel>programs>uninstall and when I try to click the .msi file itself in the folder its downloaded in.
I did give a word for word copy of the error message in the opening post, I get as far as "Status: Updating component registration" then a popup comes and says "There was an error creating a temporary file that is needed to complete this installation"

Edited by DConroy, 23 January 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#10 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hi DConroy,

Something just seems to be missing between what we've been told and the issue your having.

Can you first confirm you have enough hard drive space to open and run this MSI and let me know how much space is left?

Assuming you do have enough space open a command shell by going to Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on command and select "run as administrator".

This should open the command shell on the "c:" drive.

Move to the location you have the MSI file in by typing "cd c:\folder\folder\folder" where "folder" is the path you see in the top of the explorer window.

The following will only work if it is an MSI, not an executable or "exe".

Type "msiexec.exe /i name_of_file.msi". (No quotes.)

If it installs, fantastic, if not you need to copy the error messages and the rest of the text in the command shell in your next post.

Regards,
Zen

#11 DConroy

DConroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hi DConroy,

Something just seems to be missing between what we've been told and the issue your having.

Can you first confirm you have enough hard drive space to open and run this MSI and let me know how much space is left?

Assuming you do have enough space open a command shell by going to Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on command and select "run as administrator".

This should open the command shell on the "c:" drive.

Move to the location you have the MSI file in by typing "cd c:\folder\folder\folder" where "folder" is the path you see in the top of the explorer window.

The following will only work if it is an MSI, not an executable or "exe".

Type "msiexec.exe /i name_of_file.msi". (No quotes.)

If it installs, fantastic, if not you need to copy the error messages and the rest of the text in the command shell in your next post.

Regards,
Zen

I have 961mb on my system drive

I ran command prompt as an admin and typed cd "c:\new folder" then msiexec.exe /i PathOfExileInstaller.msi and the installer launched but yet again i got to "updating component registration" part of it and then i got the popup saying "there was an error creating a temporary file that is needed to complete this installation" as seen in the image

Attached Files

#12 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

How big is this MSI your trying to install?

You have just under a gig or drive space, low, but that should be enough depending on the MSI size.

Here is a link to ccleaner. It's a great tool for cleaning and removing old crap off your system. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

It doesn't require the windows installer so shouldn't be a problem to install or run.

See if that will install and clean things up for you and let me know the MSI size your trying to run. (Some do a check for drive space and will error out if you don't have enough.)

#13 DConroy

DConroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

How big is this MSI your trying to install?

You have just under a gig or drive space, low, but that should be enough depending on the MSI size.

Here is a link to ccleaner. It's a great tool for cleaning and removing old crap off your system. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

It doesn't require the windows installer so shouldn't be a problem to install or run.

See if that will install and clean things up for you and let me know the MSI size your trying to run. (Some do a check for drive space and will error out if you don't have enough.)

Im not installing it on the system drive,I'm installing it on a 1TB drive where I install most programs which has about 10x times the space required for this MSI and i do use ccleaner to clear out the crap off my system

Edited by DConroy, 25 January 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#14 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Unless your user, who is running the MSI, has his profile on the larger drive it doesn't matter. MSI's are opened in the users temp folder which is found here; "C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp".

So unless you are telling the MSI to open itself elsewhere, and it supports that option, your opening the MSI under the "c:" drive which only has 961MB space available.

You didn't note the size of the MSI? Is it large?

Regards,
Zen

#15 DConroy

DConroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Unless your user, who is running the MSI, has his profile on the larger drive it doesn't matter. MSI's are opened in the users temp folder which is found here; "C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp".

So unless you are telling the MSI to open itself elsewhere, and it supports that option, your opening the MSI under the "c:" drive which only has 961MB space available.

You didn't note the size of the MSI? Is it large?

Regards,
Zen

Well I have had this much space on this drive for about a year now, and havent had problems up until now, the .msi file itself is 6,650kb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users