Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Woes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen, I've come here in search of help for a problem I've been having for some nights now. It has plagued me for far longer than it should and I fear that, despite all my technical knowledge and understanding, I'm at a complete loss as to what is really wrong and how to fix it. I shall spin my tale of woe and misery for you and I hope you'll be able to see what I've had to deal with and I hope, how to overcome it.

My desktop PC I built in '06 and upgraded many times finally decided one day before Christmas that it no longer wished to Post or display on the monitor. I wasn't too heart broken over it, I was already planning on building a new one anyway. I even had a list of parts ready to order so that is what I did. And figured I'd re-use what I could from the cadaver.

Purchased / Scrounged:

Cooler Master HAF 922
Samsung DVD read/write
Corsair TX650watt PSU
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard
AMD FX 8350 4.0 ghz CPU
Intel 180gb 520 SSD
Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB
Windows 8 Pro 64bit (Full)
Antec Formula 7

Re-used:

WD 500gb SATA HDD
PNY XLR8 Geforce GTS 250
2port usb add on
Windows 7 HP 64bit OEM

So I assembled the parts once they arrived, this I accomplished on New Years EVE. I managed to get the pc running just fine. I was able to get into UEFI Bios (Which I greatly enjoy) I then installed the SSD knowing I might as well do a fresh Windows 8 install and just move what files I need from the old HDD before doing a format on that. Well I then spent the next 3 days in confusion, I was able to install the OS to the SSD but it ran so slowly I began to question if something was wrong. So I installed the old HDD, saved what I needed off of it to an external hard drive, then installed the windows 7 back to the old HDD in the new pc to just test the hardware and make sure it was all working. Everything checkedout, still no luck with the SSD so I returned it to the store and exchanged it. New one went in but I then encountered my problems. I would install the OS to the SSD but for whatever reason, be it Windows 7 or 8 it would get to the last point where the pc restarts and then it would either error, or blue screen on the restart.

Common sense at that point says to check the UEFI settings which I am still getting acquainted with and remove any other equipment that may be causing driver issues. I changed out the video card thinking it may be too advanced (GTS 250) for the setup and put in an old Geforce FX 5500 and that worked just fine. I was able to install Windows 8 to the SSD, no blue screen errors. I was then able to use the old HDD as a dump for files/downloads/etc. All that was left to do was reinstall the newest drivers for my GTS 250 card. Well PC would boot, I could navigate around UEFI Bios for whatever I need, I'd see the ASUS logo and spinning Windows 8 indicator but when it boots to the windows start screen and logon I have between 3 - 10 seconds and then the monitor loses signal.

I frustratedly worked through the problem for most of last night and concluded that the PC would work with the ancient FX 5500 card (PCI) but not the 2 year old GTS 250 (PCIe). I moved the card between the 2 PCIe slots, changed out the PCIe power modules (the PSU came with 2) I even had an adapter that would take 2 mole power and turn it into a PCIe power connector. Same result on all counts. Works just fine booting in BIOS, goes to windows and sceen goes POOF.

I've erased all Nvidia drivers, I've removed the Catalyst software that came with the motherboard, I've Done a "PC Refresh" and "Automatic fix" for windows 8. I've disabled driver signing. The only way the PC would go into windows with that video card was if I managed to first boot with the old card, tell Windows 8 to boot into safe mode and then restart the pc with it in. Ive also tried clearing the CMOS via jumpers, and fiddled with the UEFI bios PCI and power options... no go there either.

I know the card works, I know the motherboard works, I know the SSD/OS work.... but I can't figure out why they wont work together.

I finally gave up on the card, I bought an inexpensive Direct X11 card at the store to play with (PNY Geforce GT 430) Windows booted up and saw it immediately, installed the generic driver for it. I had already prepared the up to date drivers (310.90) from Nvidia and installed that. I rebooted and well... now I'm back to square one. PC doesn't even show me the windows start screen with the time anymore. The Monitor just keeps a black screen but turns the back light on and off repeatedly like its trying to adjust but can't. I've tried the DVI and VGA ports on the video card, I don't have an HDMI monitor to test with.

And to top it all off when I rebooted with the old FX 5500 card now that does not want to work either...

I'm at my wits end, and I seek your help/guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

I would guess you are seeing the early adopter woes. The nvidia drivers probably have some conflict with your hardware combination in windows 8. I would see if the same thing happens with the new DX11 card in windows 7.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Crazy49er

Crazy49er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I wiped the SSD and reinstalled Windows 7 HP 64 bit.. took a couple hours of updates and reinstalling the needed software drivers from Disk but its up and running. Performance is great with the SSD, and it now works just fine with the new smaller card (Geforce GT 430) but the pc still black screens when I try to use the Geforce GTS 250. I guess I'll have to sit that one aside with my malfunctioning Geforce GTS 8800 and resign it to retirement/doorstop. At least until I find a work around. Thats pretty sad though it still works but for whatever reason it just wont work with the rest of the hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users