Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Back Up My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 snowdrif

snowdrif

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hello everyone, I am a new guy to this forum. I have tried, unsuccessfully, in the past to try to back up my computer's files. Honestly, I don't know what I should back up, how to back up etc. I have a HP Pavillion desktop. It has 512MB, Dvd+rw/cd-rw drive also a dvd-rom drive. Can I use a program that is already loaded into windows, or should I purchase a utility?? I would appreciate your help!! Thank You! Wayne :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

XP Home or XP Pro? If XP Home you will have to install the backup utility. Click Here
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

Backing up depends on what it is you want to back up. If you need constant, incremental backup, then follow Bear's advice. For myself, I simply back up all the things I don't want to lose. I back up emails, utilities, pictures, Word and Word Perfect files, and so on. In XP, you can put a blank CD into your drive and it will most likely give you the option to open a writeable folder. You can drag the files you want to copy into that and then when you've put them all in, you can tell it to write the files.

Or, you can use a program like Nero or the free CDburnerXP to do the same thing. It might take a little practice, but you should get the hang of it rather quickly. With most burner programs, it's a good idea to set them up to verify the information after writing. It will check to see that what's written matches what's supposed to be there.

I use one CD to regularly back up my general files, all the My Documents stuff and favorites and documents, another CD to back up pictures, another for movies, and so on. I use labels and always put the date of the backup on them.

In addition, for my business and checkbook programs, I back them up several ways every time I use them. Once to the hard drive for later burning to general files, once to a flash card, and also to a CD-RW. That way, if one backup fails, the others might work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users