Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop monitor question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 deersausage

deersausage

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hello.

I'm having problems with my HP G62 laptop monitor.

The monitor works fine on power up. Then after a short amount of time, it goes black. No set time, sometimes it works for an hour, sometimes 5 minutes.

I have hooked up an external monitor to the laptop and it works 100% of the time, even when the laptop monitor is black.

I have replaced the monitor. I replaced the monitor cable today - same thing happens.

I don't know what else it could be. I don't think it could be a problem with the video-out on the motherboard since the external monitor works 100% of the time.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe something to do with the bright/dim adjustment function?? That's just a guess. Anyone have any other ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deersausage

deersausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

As a follow-up to my original post, this morning I updated all drivers, including anything related to video.

After 2 hours, the monitor went dark again. Plugged in the external monitor, it works like always.

Totally confused here.

I did remove a little virus infestation a few months ago from this machine. I'm going to do a Windows reinstall later today just because I don't know what else to do.

After that, I'm looking at maybe a motherboard swap if I can find one for a decent price.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

There are two things which usually will produce a dark screen, a bad back light or a failed inverter board.

When the screen goes dark take a flashlight and shine is on the screen, if you can see the desktop this will be the backlight, if you can't it points toward a bad inverter board.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 deersausage

deersausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

There are two things which usually will produce a dark screen, a bad back light or a failed inverter board.

When the screen goes dark take a flashlight and shine is on the screen, if you can see the desktop this will be the backlight, if you can't it points toward a bad inverter board.

I did notice when the room was dark that you could barely see the outline of the desktop when it went dark, but this does not happen other times. When it went dark this morning I took it in a completely dark room and could not see anything.

However, I replaced the screen, which has the inverter board attached to it, and it still does the exact same thing. Replaced the cable yesterday and it still does the exact same thing.

If it's not the back light, inverter board or a bad cable, what else could it be? It almost has to be the motherboard, right? I'm not sure how an external monitor would work 100% of the time, though, if it had to do with the motherboard's display components.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

If this is an intermittent check your connections again.

Did you try the flashlight?

Did you replace the backlight?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 deersausage

deersausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

If this is an intermittent check your connections again.

Did you try the flashlight?

Did you replace the backlight?

I've taken this laptop apart 4 times now and checked connections. The symptoms do not seem to coincide with any certain movement of the computer or position of the laptop lid.

I tried the flashlight, couldn't see any hint of desktop this time.

I have replaced the entire screen and the symptoms are the same, so the backlight couldn't really be the culprit.

#7 deersausage

deersausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Okay, another update.

The monitor is currently "black." However, at the right angle and in the right amount of light, you can see the desktop. I know this really points to the backlighting, but again this is a new monitor. I suppose the new monitor could be bad as well. What controls the backlighting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users