Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to make Youtube faster?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I've been using youtube since I can remember... but lately it has been getting slower and slower until now I can sometimes not even watch the lowest resolution videos without waiting!! Usually I'm ok up to 480 vids without waiting (although this is still pretty bad for my connection IMO), but sometimes (increasingly more often) I can't even watch a 240 video!

I've tried using video downloading software, this is even more interesting... The download starts out reasonably fast, and gets slower and slower and slower until it is less than 30kbs. Or even stops! Surely this can not be normal?

I have 3 machines connected to an 8mb connection which normally downloads at around 700kbs, I use firefox via windows 7 / windows 8.

Is there anything I can do to help this? I love youtube but lately it has become almost unusable for me :(

Edited by noz03, 06 January 2013 - 03:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

I had a similar experience about a month ago. I powered off the modem, waited a couple of minutes..powered up, and
happy to see speed back to normal.

Other suggestions would be to clean up the computer. Delete temporary files. Check for over heating. Though,
if the slow speed is happening on all 3 comps those solutions would be rather coincidental.
Do a speed test after following above suggestions. Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Of course, always a possibility that malware is involved. Have you scanned for malware and if so what program(s) did you use?
Two of the best free scans:
SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!
Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I had a similar experience about a month ago. I powered off the modem, waited a couple of minutes..powered up, and
happy to see speed back to normal.

Other suggestions would be to clean up the computer. Delete temporary files. Check for over heating. Though,
if the slow speed is happening on all 3 comps those solutions would be rather coincidental.
Do a speed test after following above suggestions. Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Of course, always a possibility that malware is involved. Have you scanned for malware and if so what program(s) did you use?
Two of the best free scans:
SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!
Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i guess I've checked all of those things. I scanned with AVG and spybot S&D. I usually restart my modem every day because it keeps getting stuck for some other reason, speedtest usually gives me around 6-8mbs download speed, though upload speed only 0.35 but I don't see how that could affect video download times so much?

Could it be something to do with my physical location? I'm based in Turkey so maybe the Turkish youtube servers are bad? Is it possible to play around with this variable?

Edited by noz03, 08 January 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

The two security programs I listed have a much better track record than the two you use.

Your problem could be this: YouTube opens Turkish site, giving government more control | Reuters
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hmm, could be related. Although it seems strange that it is working quite well sometimes and completely unusable other times... Either way, is there any way to tell my youtube to use another server? Maybe if I connect to the Greek servers it could solve that problem.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Suggest you speak to your neighbors to find out if they have a similar problem with Youtube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users