Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imminent hardware failure on computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

For the past few months, there has been an issue with my parents' computer in our living room (not the one I addressed in my last topic, if you remember).

This seems to only happen when the computer is shut off, rather than restarting. While the computer is booting up, it will either shut down before it loads up Windows 7 or shutdown in the middle of the black "Starting Windows" screen.

The only way that seems to resolve this issue is if I go into Safe Mode, log in, restart, and then allow the boot process to run its course. That's the only way I've figured out to get the computer to boot.

I am seeming to think it's a hardware problem, but the problem I have right now is the fact that this computer was given to us from our older brother and you need a key to open up the case, and of course he has no idea where the case key is.

What do you suspect the problem is? What diagnostics tests do you think I should run?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I would not suspect a hardware issue given that it starts up. In a typical hardware issue it will not start no matter waht method is used. Since it is windows & the first option I would try would be to do a start up repair. Boot from the windows disk and when you get to the install screen choose the repair my computer option in the lower left hand corner. Then choose start up repair.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 MyCah

MyCah

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

It could also be a hard drive issue, but most likely it is something wrong with your install of Windows.

In addition to start-up repair, run check disk. The instructions can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

If neither of these fix the issue you may consider a fresh install of Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users