Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eMachines T5212 Not displaying upon boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Golono

Golono

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Background
After some time spent researching, I built myself a desktop a few months ago. It was my first build and because of it, I now have some experience with computer hardware. Recently, I had someone come to me with a problem they are experiencing with their desktop.

Problem
Upon powering it on, all fans spin up and remain on. However, the system fails to send a signal to the monitor and simply remains on. It does not shut off nor does it boot loop.

System Specs
T5212 Specs

Attempted Solutions
Just to rule out the possibility of a defective monitor and/or VGA cable, I swapped the VGA cable and even plugged the system in to a TV also via VGA. Both attempts rendered no solution.

Thoughts
My first thought was a possibly dead video card. I am hoping, however, that this is not the case, being that the video card is integrated in to the motherboard I believe.
Some of the fans have a considerable amount of dust and so does the heatsink. I do plan on purchasing compressed gas to clean the internals. However, I do not believe that the dust is the issue. The fans are not clogged with dust, they still manage to push air through. Also, if it were a heat issue, the system would likely just power off.
Lastly, I have thought of removing the motherboard's battery to clear the bios. It could potentially be a problem with the bios though I doubt it.

I thank all of those in advance that take the time to read my post and assist me with this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I would test the ram by removoing all but 1 and try turning on the machine. If it boots then you know that ram is good. If not then I would try the other stick if there is one. If only 1 stick is availible, I would try and reseat it in its socket

Edited by ComputerMedic2013, 06 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer Golono

You posted that this computer will not turn off. I am guessing that this means that you can't turn it off by pressing and holding down the power button?

If you have a PCI graphics card you might try installing it to see if the integrated card has failed.

Dust acts like insulation, components which generate heat will have an increase in its operating temperature because of this. The only component which is thermally protected is the CPU and will shut down the computer if it overheats, other components can overheat and cause instability issues.

The specifications for this computer shows that it comes with one 2GB RAM module, unless the owner has added a second module there will only be the one. About all you can do with this is make sure that it is properly seated. If you have a known working and compatible module for this computer you could try replacing it to see if there is a problem with the RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Golono

Golono
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer Golono

Thank you.

You posted that this computer will not turn off. I am guessing that this means that you can't turn it off by pressing and holding down the power button?

It does power off if I press and hold the power button. What I meant to say is that it doesn't automatically shut off nor does it boot loop.

If you have a PCI graphics card you might try installing it to see if the integrated card has failed.

Unfortunately, I do not have any spare parts or any in general that are compatible with this system.

The specifications for this computer shows that it comes with one 2GB RAM module, unless the owner has added a second module there will only be the one.

The system comes with two 512 MB modules from the manufacture. 2 GB is just the maximum the motherboard supports.

I do not have the system with me but I will be going over to clean it with compressed gas and to try to run the system on each DIMM module during the weekend.

Edited by Golono, 10 January 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Unless you are absolutely certain the TV/VGA is known to work fine, I would check the monitor with another PC/laptop (or connect a known working monitor).

#6 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi

When I get a computer like that which does not POST (I'm assuming that you would have mentioned any beeps) this is how I start.

Unplug it from the AC plug.
Push in the power button for a moment to remove any power still in it.
Take precautions against static electricity
Disconnect all external devices including keyboard and mouse
Pull out the RAM
Disconnect all drives HDD, floppy, optical
Pull out all cards except video if it does not have on-board video
(since you are kind of new take a picture of each thing and connection before you remove it. I still film most of my repairs in HD so I can review the film as I reassemble it)
Plug it into AC and a monitor.
Turn it on and see if the POST shows up on the monitor and you should get beeps complaining about the missing RAM and keyboard.

If that does not work and you are using a video card instead of on-board video, unplug it and pull the video card and turn it on again. If it starts beeping then it is probably the video card.

If that does not work or you have on-board video then the problem is with the BIOS running its software and that could be the BIOS, CMOS or a serious problem with the power supply or motherboard.

If it does work, then the problem is with one of the pieces that you pulled out.

James

#7 Golono

Golono
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi

When I get a computer like that which does not POST (I'm assuming that you would have mentioned any beeps) this is how I start.

Unplug it from the AC plug.
Push in the power button for a moment to remove any power still in it.
Take precautions against static electricity
Disconnect all external devices including keyboard and mouse
Pull out the RAM
Disconnect all drives HDD, floppy, optical
Pull out all cards except video if it does not have on-board video
(since you are kind of new take a picture of each thing and connection before you remove it. I still film most of my repairs in HD so I can review the film as I reassemble it)
Plug it into AC and a monitor.
Turn it on and see if the POST shows up on the monitor and you should get beeps complaining about the missing RAM and keyboard.

If that does not work and you are using a video card instead of on-board video, unplug it and pull the video card and turn it on again. If it starts beeping then it is probably the video card.

If that does not work or you have on-board video then the problem is with the BIOS running its software and that could be the BIOS, CMOS or a serious problem with the power supply or motherboard.

If it does work, then the problem is with one of the pieces that you pulled out.

James

Excellent suggestion. I had completely forgotten of taking this route to diagnose the problem. However, before doing so, I decided to remove the motherboard's battery for a few seconds to clear the Bios. Upon doing so, the system booted up in to Windows without a problem. It is hard to say exactly what was the solution because I also took out a substantial amount of dust from the system and I also cleaned the thermal paste off the processor+cooler and put on new thermal paste.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to post on this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users