Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts off during games/flash games/videos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KizzaD91

KizzaD91

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hello,

First allow me to tell you how naive I once was. I'm currently using the same computer which shut down during games, films etc. that I used several years ago, however my old hard-drive was ancient and worn out and so I blamed the problem on that. However, I recently decided to assemble it again as its specs out-weighed my back up computer (except for the RAM, somehow managed to lose a stick) and so I simply took the hard-drive from my newer computer and placed it into my old one, only to find out that my computer is STILL crashing during games, videos etc. so I'm now lead to believe the problem is within the system.

Specs:

PSU: PowerX2 Pro Edition 800W
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4@2.60GHz
RAM: 2GB (I'm aware this is low, but I'm pretty sure it still experienced this problem when I had 4GB... COULD be wrong)
GFX card: NVidia GTS 250

I've been told temperature readings are handy for this site, so here are a few temp readings:

CPU Readings from CoreTemp
Min: 47 C
Max: 95 C (only just come down to 47)

GPU Readings from EVGA Precision X
Celsius (idle): 38
Fan Speed (idle): 35%

Celsius (in use): 50-60
Fan Speed (in use): 60-70%

One other reading I took out of interest was the "performance" tab in the task manager, which claims that 1.42GB of my measly 2GB RAM is being used up. I'd like to blame either my lack of RAM or my CPU fan, which isn't sounding too healthy as of late (not to mention I need to re-apply thermal paste for it).

As I've said, the computer will only last about 5-10 minutes playing video games (even on low graphics) and flash games (including Facebook games), about 20 minutes playing a DVD and it'll just pick and choose when it shuts down during a YouTube video-watching session.

Any help would be appreciated, still learning about computers so consider this some good experience :)

Edited by KizzaD91, 06 January 2013 - 07:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hello KizzaD91,

Sorry to hear about this. The reason a computer shuts off could be many. I would first go into your system logs and try and retrieve as much information about the unexpected shutdown as you can, directions on how to do this can be found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/160855-shut-down-view-details-last-shutdown-computer.html.

If this does not really produce very much helpful details, I could recommend the following from previous experience. Temperature: If the computer overheats it will shut itself off to prevent damage. I see that you have posted temps but I would monitor these temps when you are playing graphic itense games or streaming something. If your computer is running too hot, open the case while its running and with one hand hold the chasis to ground yourself and without actually touching the components feel the area around the PSU, Heatsink, or smaller heatsinks that are on the motherboard to see if they are emitting a high level of heat. If PSU, replace PSU. If heatsink, replace thermal paste on processor, look into better fan directional placement or replace heatsink w/ better heatsink. If southbridge, chipset or other chip, try an alternate motherboard.

Power failures, if you have spotty power then I would hook your computer up to a line conditioner or UPS for stabilize the power givin to your computer.

Memory - usually you will get a blue screen if the memory is failing. Sometimes not, you can take all but 1 stick of memory out of the computer and run it like that testing as you go. If problem persists switch stick of memory and test again.

If all else failes, strip all unneccessary connections from motherboard. Only leave Front panel power switch ( PSW ) 20 or 24 pin atx power connecter and the 4 pin power connector, 1 stick of memory the cpu and heatsink and the hard drive, then test. If still fails, let us know.

#3 KizzaD91

KizzaD91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

@ComputerMedi2013 thank you for your quick and extremely thorough response. I will carry these tests out on my computer over the next day or two and get back to you with all of my results. I have already taken several steps of your advice; the first thing I did was check my event log and filtered it for unexpected shut-downs. I purposely forced my computer into another shut-down by loading a video game (Killing Floor), booted the computer back up and checked my event log. I'll C+P the details:

Log Name: System
Source: EventLog
Date: 06/01/2013 12:24:06
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Dave-PC
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 12:21:24 on ‎06/‎01/‎2013 was unexpected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="EventLog" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-06T12:24:06.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>415400</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Dave-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>12:21:24</Data>
<Data>‎06/‎01/‎2013</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>2348</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>DD070100000006000C00150018002900DD070100000006000C00150018002900600900003C000000010000006009000000000000B00400000100000007000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

That all looks like Chinese to me, but it may be of more use to you.

Secondly, the side of my PC is already off; it's force of habit to keep it cooler. I felt around the PSU and the heatsink underneath, both of which feel very hot (too hot too keep my finger on for a few seconds). The GFX card is relatively cool even during gameplay or streaming, however I'll test the temperature of both the CPU and GPU during gameplay. I'll also get around to replacing the thermal paste on my CPU and see if that solves anything.

Thanks again for your time!

#4 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

There is a hotfix released by Microsoft to address this issue ( Event ID: 6008
) located at the top of the page is the download:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326564

If this does not work, try the other methods described above ( it appears that hotfix is only for windows 2000 )

Also before you dismantle everything, I would try and run your computer in safe mode w/ networking by pressing F8 repeatedly at startup and choose that option. See if the computer shuts down again. If not, you may need an updated driver for your video card, that could solve your issue completely. It is either a temperature problem, power problem or video problem.

Edited by ComputerMedic2013, 06 January 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#5 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Some thoughts, I bold for importance and so it's easy to read:

If you can, log out of your game before you know it might crash and view the temperature. If it has gone up alot you know it is the game causing the computer to work too hard. If your fan is struggling, then replacing it is a good thing, because playing games makes CPU's get hot. Also, if your computer is dirty, used compress air to clean it out, this makes a big difference too.

I also suspect you have too little ram. When in doubt, add more ram, it doesn't hurt, it's not expensive, and it does wonders for game play, plus you will need to do it anyway because Windows 7 does not like less then 4GB of ram.

Also.... update your drivers for your video card if you haven't done so all ready, this could be what's stopping you from playing.

Also, your hard drive my be infected, run all the normal virus and spyware scans. I use 3, I start with SuperAntiSpyware, then use Malwarebytes, and then Microsoft Security Essentials. All are free, all should be run in full mode (not quick) and this may take some time (hours maybe).

Hope that helps.

Edited by cee134, 06 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users