Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly built PC won't turn on - no light, sound, fans etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wman2

wman2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hi all :)

I've built a new system with the following components

Intel i3 2120
MSI H61 Motherboard
Cooler Master PSU
4GB RAM

I've plugged everything in (I think) but when I press the power or reset button, absolutely nothing at all happens. All the components are new. I've been through the checklist in this forum to no avail.

I've tried:

-switching the polarities of the power switch cable
-a different mains power cable
-the switch on the back of the PSU is on
-the motherboard power connector is plugged in (there are two 4 pin connectors which both fit, one's labeled P2 but neither works)
-I installed the motherboard standoffs from the start
-I have integrated graphics so video card is not a problem

Even the PSU fan doesn't come on.

I did bend one of the pins in the CPU socket when installing the CPU but it's not touching any other pins and the CPU is in the right way round. Surely the PSU fan should still come on at least, even though there's one bent pin?

I've tried the paperclip test with the PSU and the PSU does switch on when shorted to itself so the PSU isn't faulty.

Thanks for reading, I'm completely out of ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Exact model number of motherboard?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 wman2

wman2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Exact model number of motherboard?

The model number is Msi H61Ma-E35-B3

However I've now got the computer to boot up by connecting a wire behind the power button. It boots up if I touch the PW-switch connector on the pins on the motherboard but the actual power button itself doesn't work or do anything. It's a Zalman Z9 case and I think the problem is now in the power button but I'm not sure what I can do to fix it.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

You got it figured out. Sounds like a bad switch, or you might have the little connector hooked up wrong. Sometimes the switch under the power button pops loose, sometimes the switch is bad. Verify your case connector is labelled correctly, trace wires to the case switch, test switch with a DVOM if you have one, verify case switch is actually being actuated by the power button.

Gotta run for a bit. Wife is yelling at me to make a grocery run for our playoff gathering today.

EDIT: If you have a reset button, hook that to the power pins and see if that works.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

If it is a new case then I would contact the seller about a exchange or The maker.

Or as dpunisher says use the reset switch. It is the same type of switch and should work too. Added benefit if you don't tell anyone, is that it will make it hard for someone else to use your computer.

Or if you use a power strip set the computer to turn on when power is applied. In most there is a setting in the BIOS setup to leave off after a power loss, resume previous state or turn on.
I have mine set to turn on when I turn on the power strip everything is plugged into. When the Power strip is turned off no surges can get through either.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 wman2

wman2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Thanks both of you! I thought of the reset switch method at the same time as you posted it, and that works perfectly! Seeing as I'm never in need of a reset switch, I'm going to leave it like that, because I'd have to pay 20 return postage which is half the cost of the case and I'd have to wire everything back up again. You've both been helpful, cheers :)

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hello wman2

Good Luck with the new build in that case. I can understand not wanting to pay that kind of postage.

As far as a reset switch goes, I can not remember the last time I used one.

Thanks for reporting back
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users