Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quality GPU? - Help me finish my build!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zantaff

zantaff

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Hello!

I'm about done with all the big decisions on my new build and am looking for a GPU and some other parts.
I kinda splurged online when buying my first parts.
The original intent was to do a sub-$600 machine, and I've already spent $400... So now I'm kinda strapped for cash.

What I just bought:
i5 3570K ($190)
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO ($145)
Rosewill HIve 650w ($66)

What I'm going to reuse from my old PC:
HDDs
CD/DVD
2 1gb of RAM
Front interface ports

This will mainly be a gaming computer, but will be also used for some graphic design & 3-D modeling.

Because my original plan seems unrealistic... I'm dropping it. Now I'm just looking for good parts to finish my build.
They don't need to be THE BEST, just quality parts. Perhaps there are some deals out there?
I am willing to sacrifice in places right now where it is easy to upgrade later.

Keep in mind I still have to buy:
a CASE
Fans
8+gb RAM
1 SDD (boot)
Other things? (Am I being dumb?)

So, where should I go from there? Should I buy used or new?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by zantaff, 06 January 2013 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hi Zantaff,
Welcome to BC.

I note that you do not mention the Operating System that you intend to use - is it maybe (initially) on the HDD that you are installing from your previous rig?

My reason for asking is that, if the OS is a 32 bit system, you will be wasting your hard earned cash on more than 4GB of ram, as most 32-bit systems will (mostly) always return a ram availability figure of LESS than 4Gb due to limitations of the OS itself.

On the other hand, If it is a 64-bit OS, then you will have most of the intended ram available when you install anything up to 32 Gb.

I hope this helps, even a little bit!
Best wishes for the New Year.
Kevin

#3 zantaff

zantaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hi Zantaff,
Welcome to BC.

I note that you do not mention the Operating System that you intend to use - is it maybe (initially) on the HDD that you are installing from your previous rig?

My reason for asking is that, if the OS is a 32 bit system, you will be wasting your hard earned cash on more than 4GB of ram, as most 32-bit systems will (mostly) always return a ram availability figure of LESS than 4Gb due to limitations of the OS itself.

On the other hand, If it is a 64-bit OS, then you will have most of the intended ram available when you install anything up to 32 Gb.

I hope this helps, even a little bit!
Best wishes for the New Year.
Kevin

Thanks for the reminder, I totally forgot about that! XD
But yeah, I'll be running 64bit. :)

#4 zantaff

zantaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Changed 1st post a lot, realized it sounded dumb.

#5 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

No Problem - unfortunately, I cannot comment further, as I have no way to compare prices - the R/$ exchange rate here in RSA is so volatile, that it would be futile for me to comment on costs.

However, If you intend to use multiple GPU's at a later stage (SLI or Crossfire) remember that it is recommended that you use the same TYPE of GPU in your setup.

That is to say, it is not recommended that you use eg. a GTX 460 and a GTX 660 in a SLI mode, as there may be driver conflicts.
I am in this situation at present, I have a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 SE 1024GB GPU in my rig, and I cannot source another, as it has been superceded by other GPU. Consequently, no SLI possible on this board now.

Just something to bear in mind, as this may influence the purchase of your GPU's.

#6 zantaff

zantaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

No Problem - unfortunately, I cannot comment further, as I have no way to compare prices - the R/$ exchange rate here in RSA is so volatile, that it would be futile for me to comment on costs.

However, If you intend to use multiple GPU's at a later stage (SLI or Crossfire) remember that it is recommended that you use the same TYPE of GPU in your setup.

That is to say, it is not recommended that you use eg. a GTX 460 and a GTX 660 in a SLI mode, as there may be driver conflicts.
I am in this situation at present, I have a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 SE 1024GB GPU in my rig, and I cannot source another, as it has been superceded by other GPU. Consequently, no SLI possible on this board now.

Just something to bear in mind, as this may influence the purchase of your GPU's.

Thanks!

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

If you're planning on keeping costs below a certain amount, you may have to cut in places. Depending on what you are doing, there are a number of choices.

XFX Core Edition FX-787A-CNFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz - I consider this the lowest a gamer should get. I have two of the "Double D" version of this GPU in Crossfire. $220

Galaxy 66NPH7DV6XXZ GeForce GTX 660 Ti - This would be the next step up on the performance ladder. $269

XFX FX-795A-TNFC Radeon HD 7950 Core Edition 3GB - Next up on the performance list is also the beginning of the enthusiast tier of GPU's. $314

EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 02G-P4-2687-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB - Finally, you are at the top of the performance ladder. $470

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users