Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

netutils.dll issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farmon

farmon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Hope I'm in the right place. I'm at my wit's end with this so I hope someone can help. I'm using Windows 7 Home. For several weeks, Windows update says there's an update for .NET framework. When I shut down the computer, it appears to be installing, then the computer shuts down. When I turn it back on, the same notice is there, saying the update failed. I've rebooted many times and it doesn't change. I finally went to the troubleshooter and one of the options was to "repair errors with Windows Update". I clicked that, it ran and said "fixed". I rebooted and for a few minutes, all was fine. Then I noticed the same update was available. I let it download and shut the computer down. The problem didn't go away. Since everything seemed to work fine, I just ignored it but immediately afterward, I tried to open Adobe After Effects CS6 (it's a legal copy). It wouldn't open. I got a message that said I needed to reinstall (also said "Error: 16"). I tried all the other Adobe software and got the same message. I rebooted several times and the problem still occurred. I decided to try and remove ONE of the Adobe programs and reinstall. I uninstalled Photoshop CS6 Extended. When I tried to reinstall, it wouldn't validate my serial number. I called Adobe support and while I was waiting, I decided to try the other programs again. None of them would open. Then I tried Photoshop CS5 Extended, and it opened. I closed it and just as Adobe support answered, I clicked on After Effects again and it opened. Suddenly all my software worked again. I asked support about reinstalling Photoshop but he said I had to reinstall the entire Production Premium Suite. I'm hesitant to do that because one other time when I had a problem and talked to them, I was able to successfully reinstall only one problematic program.

The reason I wrote all that was to give you some background on what's been happening. My current problem, which has happened periodically in the midst of the above melee, is that whenever I close an Adobe program, I get a message that says "AAM cannot open because netutils.dll cannot be found on your system". I've looked in the Windows System 32 folder and it's there. I even replaced it. When I replaced it, I had to change permissions to be able to do that. SO, my question is: What do I do about this netutils.dll error? Do I download it somewhere and replace it again? Did I screw something up by changing permissions? I haven't tried downloading and reinstalling AAM (Adobe Application Manager). I'll wait and see if I can get by without doing that. I'm afraid that working on my own, I'm just going to make things worse. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 farmon

farmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

It seems as though netutils.dll is a dll NO ONE has ever heard of. There are tons of hokey websites that claim to be able to fix it instantly IF you download their software but no one I've talked to has a solution. I'm at my wits end. I've tried replacing it, etc. Nothing works. I still can't believe SOMEBODY here doesn't know how to fix this! C'mon guys! SOMEBODY must be up for the challenge!

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

Google glves About 85,200 results (0.12 seconds)

Netutils.dll requires a C++ library, and was likely written in Micorsoft Visual C++. It was most likely built using Visual Studio 2008.

This file belongs to Microsoft Windows Operating System and was developed by Microsoft Corporation.
This file has description Net Win32 API Helpers DLL. This file is Dynamic-link Library. This library can be loaded and executed in any running process.
Netutils.dll is also the name of a new system32 file included in Windows 7. The 7 version of Netapi32.dll has a dependency upon it to import, amongst other things, NetApiBufferAllocate.
No doubt your dll is already loaded and the Windows loader has matched up netapi32's exports to your netutils.dll instead of the one from system32.

The easiest way around it is to change the name of your dll. That may not be feasible for a number of reasons, but since netapi32.dll isn't a known dll the only other way around it, I can see involves a lot of meddling the delay-loading functionality of Visual Studio.

"Netutils.dll" is also the name of a new "system32 file" included in Windows 7 - < < Your basic answer -

More than enough responses to fill a page, but the bottom line sums it up -

Thank You -

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

dlls get very complicated very quickly... netutils is a microsoft dll which should be pointed (IF USING VISTA OR WIN7... NOT LOCATED IN) to %windows%\system32\netutils.dll. Now there is 32-bit and 64-bit version of netutil.dll (one is in \Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-netutils_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_8e3f130e60b86e3b and another in \Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-netutils_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_3220778aa85afd05) which Windows is supposed to tell your application the right one to access. Just replacing in the file in system32 can get problematic.

Things go wrong and your system can lose the ability to tell application which one to go to. It is beyond my ability to fix this.

As you have said your machine is working semi-correctly it is up to you what steps you take to correct it... If this has been happening only for a couple days I would use a restore point to try and correct it... If this has been happening for months ... I might consider a wipe and reinstall.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 25 January 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#5 farmon

farmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thank you both. While I am extremely curious about fixing it, I think the prudent thing for me to do (time efficiency wise) is a format and reinstall. I was trying to avoid that because of the necessity of reinstalling all my Adobe software but unless I want to muck around with this for another few months, I see no other choice. A further complication of this issue is that I uninstalled all my Adobe Production Premium Software (CS6) and when I tried to reinstall it (per Adobe support), it is "unable to validate the serial number". Arrrrrgggghhhhh! Hopefully there will be no problems reinstalling Adobe after I format and reinstall Windows. Again, thanks for the responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users