Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winfixer? Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Swanheart

Swanheart

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:53 PM

Look up "WinFixer" on Wikipedia if you haven't but need the info; I found the article helpful.

I have had a problem called WinFixer on my computer for several weeks now. It manifests itself by numerous pop-ups, dialog boxes and advertisments that my pop-up blocker and Internet Explorer never blocked. These said that my computer was infected with a "blackworm" virus and that I should install, run and buy this program called Winfixer to fix it. I knew it was garbage, so I just closed out the ads and figured it was a one-time thing.

Yet they kept coming up. So much that I stopped using Explorer and switched to Firefox, which helped to stop the problem. After the first pop-ups, I noticed the amount of spyware that was getting on my computer was accumlating fast. I ran both Ad-Aware and Spybot everyday to try to keep on it.

Now I can't run either program. Ad-Aware only starts scanning for less than 30 seconds before my computer restarts itself. Spybot suddenly stops saying "user aborted scan" and I can't remove anything it did find. My anti-virus software can't find ANYTHING wrong. But my computer's general performance has been taking a slow nose dive since I first encountered WinFixer.

If anyone could help me, it would be really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:11 PM

See this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/18610/how-to-remove-winfixer-virtumonde-msevents-trojanvundob/

You may still need to post a HijackThis log and get the help you need. Instructions for posting are included in the tutorial.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:46 PM

Wow. :thumbsup: I think that did it. Ad-Aware ran and this time, didn't find anything.

Thank you! :flowers:

#4 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Is it normal for my Internet browsing to suddenly slow down after running VundoFix? Some pages take ages to load and some aren't loading at all. I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 and I'm on a college LAN network.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

Download ATF Cleaner (for XP)

http://www.atribune.org/content/view/19/2/
Click "Main" > check 'select all' this first time using it, then click "Empty Selected". Do the same for FireFox or Opera if you use either of those browsers.

Defrag and reboot.

If you're still having problems, you should post your HJT log in the forum mentioned in the tutorial. It's hard to know what all is on your computer by just guessing :thumbsup:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

Okay, that seems to be working better now.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users