Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Grid

Grid

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I recently found a laptop that someone had thrown out which was an awesome find for me as my computer is about 6-7 years old and doesn't run all that fast anymore. Any how, the laptop, which is a HP Pavilion DV2000, had to be recovered through the F11 key at start-up because it kept restarting itself. I was in mid-recovery on it and it shut down. When I powered it back up, this message came up before shutting down again:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. Please re-install a copy of the above file: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Can a disk be purchased that can re-install and fix the problem or should I just put this laptop back in the trash?

Thx for any and all reply's!

Edited by Grid, 05 January 2013 - 08:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _mArs_

_mArs_

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

do you own another computer? if you can, make a rescue cd/usb and see if you can use that to replace the missing os files.
avg makes a nice little rescue tool you can boot from a cd or usb and fix the problem.

Edited by _mArs_, 05 January 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Please re-install a copy of the above file: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

That particular message is most often produced when there is a problem with the Windows disk file-system, rather than a problem with the actual hal.dll file itself. I suggest that we firstly take a look at the condition of the hard drive, and in doing so, also get the opportunity to see whether or not the laptop actually works:

On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:
Boot the problematic computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic, and whether you are using a bootable CD or a flashdrive.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Grid

Grid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Thx for the tips mArs and Australien. I tried your method Australien, but unfortunately the computer shut itself down midway through rebooting with the PartedMagic CD. It looked like it was going to work for a few seconds, but no dice I guess. What would you think that means the problem is? Probably something costly and troublesome I'd wager :huh:

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

Boot to the PartedMagic CD and at the first menu:
  • Arrow-down to Extras and press <ENTER>.
  • Select memtest86+ and press <ENTER>
    Allow memtest86+ to run.
What happens? Do you see errors start appearing?

Allow memtest86+ to run .... preferably for 24 hours for a reliable test of the memory.
  • Note: There must be NO errors.
  • If you see an error, there is a problem. Stop the test then.
Note: memtest86+ will run until you stop it.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

... the computer shut itself down midway through rebooting with the PartedMagic CD.

If you were to fully describe what you were able to see happening on-screen ... and then exactly what happened ... it may provide an extra clue to the likely problem.

As it is, what you describe could be caused by a severe over-heating problem eg. the CPU cooling fan/heatsink not working.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Grid

Grid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

I tried out the new method. It got about a minute and a half through the scan and just powered down. I think I heard the fan inside just stop completely also. I tried again and it ran for about 5 minutes that time and just powered down again. I went to turn it back on, but this time it didn't want to power up.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

It seems to me that you are most likely dealing with a severe over-heating issue in that case.

I think that the CPU cooling system and fan need to checked and cleaned as the next step.

It will likely turn on again (hopefully) when it has a chance to cool down a little.
  • However, best not to try again until you have checked the cooling system. :exclame:

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Grid

Grid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

I've never popped open a laptop before; guess I could maybe give it a try. I'll see what I find

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

Sorry, I don't have much experience in cleaning &/or dismantling laptops.

The nearest I've come to cleaning out the cooling system of a laptop is blowing compressed air into the exhaust area (while stopping the fan from spinning with a thin probe so that it doesn't cause any electrical damage).

I gather some brands/models of laptops require very little dismantling to access and clean the cooling system. Others though, require that virtually the entire laptop be pulled apart to get access to the cooling system.

Let me know if you would like me to request some assistance for you from someone familiar with working on laptops.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

There are loads of illustrated guides to dismantling PC and laptops. Google.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

The HP Pavilion DV2000 is notorious for overheating. Disassemble it carefully (I film my dissamblies so I can review it as I put it back together).
Never force any part or cable connection. They all disconnect easily or you are not doing it right and need to stop and rethink it before proceeding.

Remove the heatsink and fan from the motherboard.

If it uses thermal paste, gently clean off all of the old thermal paste with alcohol and q-tips and toothpicks. Let it dry completely and then place a dab of arctic silver on the CPU and GPU. Do not spread it. It will spread itself. Put it back together and it should work.

If it uses thermal pads, you will have to purchase a new heatsink to get the proper thermal pads. They must be replaced. Make sure you get the right one and that it comes with thermal pads (should be about $20).

Here are instructions for replacing the heatsink and fan and I am sure there are videos on YouTube.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035657.pdf
Chapter 5.25

Let us know how it goes :)
James

#13 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Commenting on the original issue, my experience has been that hal.dll error is probably caused by something else. I was re-partitioning a drive and it screwed up when the PC rebooted. I eventually found that the boot.ini file was now incorrect, pointing to the wrong partition for the OS. I removed the drive, used an HDD to USB kit ($13) to change the boot.ini file partition number with another PC and all was well. There is a decent MS guide here - see CAUSE section. I assume the OS is XP as indicated on the online specs I found.

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I think the OP has the error because the computer shutdown in the middle of a factory restore. If he can get it to stay on, he should be able to do the factory restore again and it will be able to complete.

Could be wrong though :)

James

#15 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

I think the OP has the error because the computer shutdown in the middle of a factory restore. If he can get it to stay on, he should be able to do the factory restore again and it will be able to complete.

True, if it only loaded parts of the OS eg. the root files including boot.ini but not all the system files including hal.dll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users