That particular message is most often produced when there is a problem with the Windows disk file-system
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Please re-install a copy of the above file: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
, rather than a problem with the actual hal.dll
file itself. I suggest that we firstly take a look at the condition of the hard drive, and in doing so, also get the opportunity to see whether or not the laptop actually works:On a working computer
, please download the latest version of PartedMagic
Write (in the appropriate manner)
the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:Boot the problematic computer
from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
- At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic, and whether you are using a bootable CD or a flashdrive.
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)At the PartedMagic Desktop:
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.At the PartedMagic Desktop:
- Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
- In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
- In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
A Smartctl Output window will open.
- Right-click in the text output > Select All.
- Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
- Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
- Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
- Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
- Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.
Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
- Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button
- You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
- Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.