Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fas8253

fas8253

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

It takes forever to boot up my Dell Inspiron 531. I try to connect to a web pag and it takes forever then freezes. I updated McAfee and ran a full scan. No virus. I dont know what else to try. I was going to reformat the hard drive but do not have a disk. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

You could start by reading this article which is at the top of the opening forum page.

There could be all sorts of contributing causes, corrupted or damaged files, full hdd problems, too many programs open at the same time, etc.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fas8253

fas8253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jncDZzUvgAtMXH0nOzINbXU

#4 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hey, fas8253

Just a couple of questions.

1. Do you run a cleaner regularly to remove the temporary internet files from your machine? I use CCleaner, and I run it on a schedule every night. Actually, it's basically the only purpose I have for the program, although there are many other features. I do use it to set which programs start on boot sometimes. Temporary internet files can really build up fast, and they will slow a machine. BTW, I recommend using CCleaner only to remove temporary internet files. The rest is really extraneous and not necessary and frankly dangerous I believe, especially the registry cleaning feature in CCleaner. If you decide to use it, just uncheck everything but the options for removing Temporary Internet Files.
2. Do you defragment on a regular basis? I have a defragmenter (AUSLogics Defrag) that I have again set on a schedule to run at night. This really much improves PC performance and reliability.

I keep my system on stand by at night and these programs wake the machine and run automatically. You can of course set the programs to run on boot if running them at night is not a good option for you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

You should run the Seatools diagnostic test to see what condition your hdd is in.

Seagate has a tutorial and download on one page, so this is pretty simple, to go there click on this link. Click on the Accept button and the download button becomes accessible.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,583 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

It takes forever to boot up my Dell Inspiron 531. I try to connect to a web pag and it takes forever then freezes. I updated McAfee and ran a full scan. No virus. I dont know what else to try. I was going to reformat the hard drive but do not have a disk. Any ideas?

The title of thread relates to browser issues but your post says the boot time takes "forever".

1) Please define "forever" (how long does your system take to fully boot?)

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) McAfee is awful. I urge you to uninstall it and replace it with ANY other anti virus product.

4) Please run a full scan with MalwareBytes

5) What browser are you using? Have you tried other browsers?

6) Beside the slow start and the browser problems, are there other issues with your system?

#7 fas8253

fas8253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

dc3... I downloaded the Seagate thing. Now what

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,833 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Did you follow the tutorial on the same page you got the Seagate download from?

Seagate has a tutorial and download on one page, so this is pretty simple, to go there click on this link.

Bold is mine. Scroll to the bottom of that page and follow the tutorial if you haven't done so.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 fas8253

fas8253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I don't see a tutorial here......

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-win-master/

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Seagate moves their webpages at times, try http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en .

If using SeaTools for DOS, http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en .

Louis

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

The attachment is a snipping of the page with the instructions.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sorry for the lack of response, I'm out of town.

#13 fas8253

fas8253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

seagate thing doesn't even show I have any drives....I deleted it and installed it again and same thing... no drives detected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users