Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited access on new wi-fi networks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 venexiano

venexiano

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Dear all,
I have the following problem, that started to occur after being followed on this forum for virus removal and in particular after running combofix. The cleaning procedure went great, the computer is clean now and works well, the post is closed and the guy was following me suggested to post here. I have trouble to go online with some new wi-fi connections while other people can easily do that. It connects very fast to the wi-fi connections that has already in memory (my house in italy and in usa, my office), but when I try to connect to new networks it says "limited access", and there is no way that it connects. 2 days ago I was in the Washington airport and everybody around me was connecting to the free wireless (they open the browser, the page where one has to accept the terms of condition appears, and then once accepted the terms they are online). But I could not do that, after opening any browser the latter would keep trying to load the page with no result. And on the list of network all the network had an exclamation mark and said "limited access". All my friends with me had no exclamation mark and no limited access. The same thing happened few days ago in a hotel. Any clue?
THanks.
Alberto

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 January 2013 - 05:07 PM.
Changed subject title at the request of venexiano

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Open your device manager and left click the + next to the network adapters.
Now right click and un-install your wireless driver.
Reboot the machine.

If that does not help then see below.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

#3 venexiano

venexiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Thanks, I am not sure which network adapters shall I uninstall. Here is a screenshot:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/newpicture2a.png/
thanks

PS: Can you replace in the title of the post "limited" for "unlimited"? Thanks

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

The intel device.

#5 venexiano

venexiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Dear InadequateInfirmity,

only today I did what you suggested, basically because I did not travel before and the laptop was connecting to my home and work wifi perfectly. Today I traveled to Boulder for a conference and the same issued happened: I could no connect to any wifi of the 2 connecting airports. I could not connect to my hotel wifi. Always limited assess. I right clicked and un-installed my wireless driver as u said and I rebooted the machine. But now the wifi adapter is gone, it is not there in device menager anymore, and also clicking in scan for driver changes does not do anything. What shall I do?

thanks
V.

#6 venexiano

venexiano
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

Ok I solved installing this. Lets see if it lasts. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22547&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20%2864-bit%29*&DownloadType=Software%20Applications#help

thanks anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users