Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove CPU?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blacktiger826

blacktiger826

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi guys, this is a question about the rampage iv formula and i7 3930k cpu.

So I convinced my little cousin to finally build his new computer instead of buying, and we went to the store and picked up a mobo, cpu, and ram among other things. Instead of going home and inserting the cpu himself, we mutually decided since its his first build to let the tech pro do it.

Now heres the question. During the insertion of the cpu, the tech pro had an issue locking it in. The CPU seemed to be mounted fine, but I think he was having problems with the locking arms. He removed the cpu twice before he got help from another employee who was able to do it. I know he knows what he is doing, but Im worried the cpu pins were damaged during the THREE times it was inserted in.

The system posted fine but I'm still worried. Is it worth it for me to take the cpu out to check for broken and bent pins? Its under the store warranty so it would be free replacement if broken.

Optimally, I think my cousin would prefer to not, but I feel that unless posting gaurentees no problem I will........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Well...i don't suspect problems with hardware...unless I have specific symptoms that prompt me to do so.

If I decided to pay someone to put parts in...I don't think thst I would be second-guessing their abilities/quality of work...without substantial evidence that I ought to be concerned.

Inxserting a CPU is pretty simple...attaching and locking the heatsink/cooler is the part of the process that can prove irritating, IME.

Without symptoms of any problems...what will be gained by undoing work that has been done...and taking the chance that you may do something improperly in your attempts to restore it to its former working condition?

Louis

#3 blacktiger826

blacktiger826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Alright, Ill just leave it. Im not worried about damaging it if I redo it, but like most situations with the mobo/cpu its best to "play" with it as little as possible.

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Inserting the pins of the CPU into the base is pretty straight forward, the CPU and the base usually have a corner cut so that you know that these two should face each other. The clips that they were trying to attach were to hold the heat sink and fan assembly together. If the heat sink was removed from the CPU they should have cleaned the thermal compound and then reapplied it before reinstalling the heat sink and fan. If they didn't you will want to pay close attention to the CPU temperatures once it is fired up.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 blacktiger826

blacktiger826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

I think I must have confused you......the clips were not clips. They were the latches that lock in the cpu

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#6 fatcat92

fatcat92

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would get someone else to put the CPU in if you knew how to do it?

#7 blacktiger826

blacktiger826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Because I was with my cousin and since its his computer it was his choice whether I did it or the store person did it. From his standpoint he chose the "responsible" adult rather than me. I know how to do it, but if it was free, and it was available, wouldn't you rather have a more experienced person do the job?

EDIT: it is no matter since he decided not to check the cpu. I referred him to some of the previous posts on the thread as well as a few others, and since the computer works fine, and we were able to Overclock it to 5.1ish, I assume that the damage is nonexistant.

Edited by blacktiger826, 09 January 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users