Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled XP, Drivers & Utilities disk won't load

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaGraham

DonnaGraham

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Good day,

I reinstalled XP on my Dell Dimension 4600 using the Operating System disk Dell sent me. Now, I'm trying to install the drivers with the Drivers and Utilities disk Dell sent me; however, nothing happens when I load the CD. Other audio CD's load although I don't have sound so I'm unable to play them, but at least they're detected unlike the Drivers and Utilities disk. In Device Manager, Samsung CD-ROM SC-148C is listed. There are no red marks or other warning signs that indicate something could be wrong. The desktop doesn't have Internet yet. I know I can go to the Dell site and download the drivers but I'm unsure which drivers to download as some of the drivers say recommended and others say optional. Also, I need to know the exact order to install the drivers if I choose to go this route; however, I would really like to use the disk since I paid for it, and I'll install the right drivers for sure if I use the disk. Dell support wants to charge $89 to help me since my warranty expired.

Why was I able to install the operating system using a disk and I'm not able to install the drivers and utilities with a disk? What can I do so the CD will install the drivers?

Note: I first installed a new hard drive because I had a virus, then I reinstalled XP.

Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Can you try it in another computer??? I would venture to say you recieved a bum disk and if that is the case they should replace it for free. if you go to the down load section and use your service tag it should bring up the drivers for your system. If there are optional ones ignore them at first. I always install the chipset drivers first and reboot. Then I install the rest of the drivers in one big batch before rebooting. After that don't forget to do your windows updates which will take a while.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

Hey, guys. Yes, the chipset driver first. Then you can go for the network driver to restore your internet. Nice of Dell to have included this driver download feature for you. Now if you can just figure out which drivers to install.

DonnaGraham...This is in order how I would go if you download the drivers from the Dell site:

1. Dell Software
Dell-Application
Recommended
5/16/2006
1.0.0.6 (EMT), A05
Previous Versions
Applies to:
Crash Analysis Tool

Sonic Solutions-Application
Recommended
1/26/2006
4.98, Build: 498B12A
Previous Versions
Applies to:
Record Now 7.0 (Dual Layer)

Dell-Application
Recommended
2/7/2005
1.02L (DiRT - External Zip), A01
Previous Versions
Applies to:
Driver Reset Tool

2. Chipset Driver (This is the only one, so it has to be the right one)
Dell-Driver
Recommended
12/3/2003
5.00.1012, A13
Previous Versions

3. Networking (There are only 2 here. I have downloaded the Intel Diagnostics from HP for an HP with the same mb setup. I don't recall what it is, but it won't hurt anything)
Intel-Diagnostics Utility
Recommended
12/8/2003
8.0.0.0, A05
Previous Versions
Applies to:
10/100 LOM

Intel-Driver
Recommended
12/8/2003
7.0.26.0, A06
Previous Versions

4. Audio (This one is listed as urgent (must be the main one to get) and the 3 others as optional. Looks like they are upgrades for sound)
Creative Labs-Patch/Upgrade
Urgent
6/28/2004
RC1, A00
Previous Versions

You can pick the rest as you like. There's only one HD driver, so that one is easy enough. The rest are mostly things you can add as you go like "Removable Storage" drivers.

BTW...REMEMBER TO REBOOT AFTER INSTALLING THE DRIVERS. IF YOU INSTALL THEM MANUALLY YOURSELF REBOOT AFTER EACH ONE. IF THE DELL SOFTWARE INSTALLS THEM, JUST REBOOT, AND YOU SHOULD BE OK...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users