Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 System Restore - further action?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jonnburton

jonnburton

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hi,

I had to do a system restore on my computer. The reason for this was that when I started the computer it booted up fine until I had to type my password to enter windows; after that, there was simply a black screen - windows did not load.

The system was restored to an earlier date and my question is: do I need to do anything else beyond the system restore to ensure the computer is working correctly? I have little idea about computers so I don't know whether the problem is still on the system or if the restore will have resolved the issue permanently.

Many thanks in advance for information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

You could look in the Event Viewer to see what error shows up for that time and date.

Has this reoccurred?

Was there any error message?

Any other problems?

You could run sfc /scannow, if there are any damaged or corrupted files this will in most cases take care of these files. There are instances where sfc (System File Checker) can't make a repair, at the end of the scan it will tell you if this happens.

To run this click on the Start orb and type in sfc /scannow in the Search programs and files box and press Enter. This process will take a while, so be prepared to allow it to run until it is finished.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jonnburton

jonnburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Hi

it hasn't reoccurred (and there was no error message when it did happen - the screen just went black after typing the password in).

I tried doing the sfc /scannow, but when I type that into the search and click on the icon, a message flashes up very quickly (for a fraction of a second) in what looks like command prompt. I don't know what this message says because it dissappears before it can be read. The scannow program does not open.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

My instructions were incomplete, try the instructions below.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Go to Start, click on All Programs, click on Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, click on Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

Posted Image

Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

This scan consists of five parts and will take a while to run. You will need to be patient and allow it to complete. Stopping it while it is still running can damage your operating system.

If the scan stops after successfully completeing a part of the scan for more than five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Edited by dc3, 06 January 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jonnburton

jonnburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I ran the scan and no errors were found on the computer.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

You are probably ok, but I would like you to run one more scan.

Click on the Start orb> All Programs> Accessories> right click on Command Prompt then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Posted Image

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter

You will receieve the following message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the chkdsk c:/r

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to finish.

Edited by dc3, 07 January 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#7 jonnburton

jonnburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

I ran the second scan and this didn't flag up any problems, either.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Then I would just use it and see if it stays stable.

#9 jonnburton

jonnburton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

OK, that's great! Thanks a lot for your help on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users