Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scandisk Cruzer not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swede109

swede109

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-S2H
Enclosure Type: Desktop
OS;
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Processor
3.10 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2400
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded
8176 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
DDR3 Dual channel
DRAM Frequency 665.2 MHz
Main Circuit Board b
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-S2H
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F5 10/12/2011
Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 [Display adapter] 1024 MBytes
Samsung SyncMaster 245B [Monitor] (24.0"vis, s/n HU24HCJQ200225, February 2008)

Current on Microsoft updates.

Hello
I have a Scandisk Cruzer 32 GB drive. All of a sudden, it quit coming up as a valid drive. It had ample space on the drive the last time I used it.
Other devices and drives work fine on the USB ports I use on this computer, it is just this one disk that doesn’t work.
This Scandisk works fine on other computers.

‘Searching for content’ progress bar, takes a long time searching.. and when it does finally quit and I hit Open, comes up as Folder is Empty.

Shows up as ‘Removable Disk (E:) FAT32:’ but the icon is a Microsoft generic unknown icon.

Hardware/properties/general.. This device is working properly.

Format; nothing happens.

Uninstalled Reinstalled driver, no change.

This seems very weird, just wondering if this is a common problem.
Thanks.

Edited by swede109, 05 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I had a 16GB one of those go bad (it started acting flaky and then completely died).

That said, I have another 16GB and a 32GB that have worked flawlessly on many computers and I have used them quite heavily.

If other flash drives work on that computer then I would suspect that the Cruzer is going bad and not trust it anymore.

If other flash drives also have problems on that one computer, let us know and we'll see if we can come up with some troubleshooting to try.

Hope this helps,
James

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

As James said..........

Over the years I've had many go bad from heavy use.

Some I was able to resurrect by opening them and re-soldering the USB plugs traces to the circuit board.

I did a data recovery on one for someone where it had gotten jammed and the USB plug was pushed in. That one I had to dissect a USB cable and solder the wires onto the circuit board, Carefully.

The are not forever, The Plugs can come loose from the circuit board or Being carried in a pocket they can get zapped by Static electricity. when pulled out and plugged in.

Also did you try it in another computer or even in a different port on this computer? I've had some that would work in one port but not another even though other drives worked in either port.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 January 2013 - 09:25 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

...Some I was able to resurrect by opening them and re-soldering the USB plugs traces to the circuit board.

I think I tried to do this (I've done it with others) with the 16GB Cruzer and it turned out to be a solid block of plastic with absolutely no access to the circuit board. Instead of putting epoxy over the proprietary chips on the board, the whole board is baked into solid plastic/epoxy with just the plug's traces exposed :)

James

#5 swede109

swede109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Well, this is all very weird because, the Scandisk works fine on two other computers.

My computer only has four USB ports. The scandisk will not work on any of them. But, all of my other devices that use a USB port work fine on my computer.. Camera, GPS, MP3 player etc..

Thanks

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

James, I wonder if something like this could help.

USBDeview v2.20 - View all installed/connected USB devices on your system

Description
USBDeview is a small utility that lists all USB devices that currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used.
For each USB device, extended information is displayed: Device name/description, device type, serial number (for mass storage devices), the date/time that device was added, VendorID, ProductID, and more...
USBDeview also allows you to uninstall USB devices that you previously used, disconnect USB devices that are currently connected to your computer, as well as to disable and enable USB devices.
You can also use USBDeview on a remote computer, as long as you login to that computer with admin user.

swede109
It could be helpful to see a report with the device plugged and and another report without it.
Be sure to download the x64 version.
Run the Program, Hit the Ctrl and the A key at the same time to select all, then go to the File Menu, Save Selected Items, Give it a name and save it, or if you can spot the Sandisk Cruzer line just save that both ways. Put the two reports here as attachemnts via a file hosting site unless you can save the single device only that is giving a problem. a Full report could be way to big.

For example, This is what Mine looks like for the Sandisk Cruzer. Notice I xxx'd the serial number, very remote chance of it being a problem, but why take chances.

==================================================
Device Name :
Description : SanDisk Cruzer USB Device
Device Type : Mass Storage
Connected : No
Safe To Unplug : Yes
Disabled : No
USB Hub : No
Drive Letter :
Serial Number : xxxxxx
Created Date : 12/28/2012 7:50:01 PM
Last Plug/Unplug Date: 11/11/2012 10:05:43 AM
VendorID : 0781
ProductID : 5530
Firmware Revision : 1.26
USB Class : 08
USB SubClass : 06
USB Protocol : 50
Hub / Port :
Computer Name :
Vendor Name :
Product Name :
ParentId Prefix :
Service Name : USBSTOR
Service Description: USB Mass Storage Driver
Driver Filename : USBSTOR.SYS
Device Class : USB
Device Mfg : Compatible USB storage device
Power :
USB Version :
Driver Description: USB Mass Storage Device
Driver Version : 6.1.7601.17577
Instance ID : USB\VID_0781&PID_5530\20054857331B7E31E10C
==================================================

Thanks
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Please do what Rotor123 suggested so we can see the reports (mine looked very similar to his).

Also, do you know if you have the proprietary program "GIGABYTE ON/OFF Charge" driver installed on the motherboard?
I ask because that may affect the amount of voltage that the Cruzer gets when plugged into that motherboard. If it is installed, try uninstalling it to see if that helps.

James

#8 swede109

swede109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Well after uninstalling Gigabyte ONOFFCharge the Scandisk works now..

I found this under C:\Program Files\GIGABYTE\ONOFFCharge\uninstall

Hit the uninstall icon, let it finish and restarted.

It looks like that will fix it. If something else comes up I'll get back.

Thanks much!

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Good Catch James :thumbsup:

swede109 Thanks for letting us know the Cure, I'm sure it will help others too.

Thanks
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

That was caught because I had once seen it with a client using some audio equipment that connected via USB and it caused some bad problems.

The fact that swede109 gave us the details in his first post made it easy for me to see that this might be the issue.

Good job swede109 on giving us all the information to help us find a potential solution for this.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users