Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 SomeDude1

SomeDude1

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi, I'm having some trouble starting my computer (posting from somewhere else). When I try to start it, it takes a long time then goes to a screen asking me to start the startup repair. When I do, it just seems to be frozen on some of the screens for a very long time and has never moved past it. Anyone know how I can fix it? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Do you have the installation disc for the operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

HP pavilion dm4. I don't have a CD because the installation stuff is on one of the drives. I also have some information on the hard drive that I absolutely cannot afford to lose (I know, need to back it up), so I was hoping this could be fixed without reformatting. I had some trouble starting up before (the computer has been really unstable recently) and I got some help fixing it using a program called frst64 they told me about in the malware forum. Can I do something like that again? Thanks for the quick response!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Try booting into the Advanced Boot Options and then choose Safe Mode from the options.

To boot into the Advanced Boot Options start tapping the F8 key as soon as you press the power button and continue till you see a page similar to the one below. Use the up or down keys to navigate to the option you want and then press Enter.

Posted Image

Let us know if you can boot into Safe Mode and if it is functional.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you respond to the help which was offered in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum?

The topic in question is this one.

Edited by dc3, 05 January 2013 - 01:12 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Starting in safemode doesn't help. I can get to the screen to select safemode, but after a while it goes back to the windows error recovery screen. I should mention that earlier today i was having trouble starting up and it asked me to delete startup data and reboot or something like that.

I didn't respond to it because the keyboard issue resolved and I was really busy with school. Sorry, I'll make sure to at least respond if things get resolved.

#6 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi, just wondering if this post dropped out of the cue since I haven't heard for a while. Thanks!

#7 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

So I really need to get this computer up and running soon, so I hope it's okay that I did some investigating on my own. Another post with a similar problem said to disable automatic restart on system failure so I can see the blue screen and copy it. I did so and here is the message. Please let me know if I need to just take this computer in to the store and if there's any way to salvage my information. I really can't afford to lose it.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA8006FCDCD0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0
x0000000000000000)

The numbers went off the screen and I'm assuming wrapped around but I tried to replicate them above in case it matters.

Please help! Thanks.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

STOP 0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Usual causes: Hard drive problem, File system problem, Improper boot parameters

On the surface, this problem is most likely a simple file-corruption issue and likely to be repaired by running chkdsk with either of the switches /f or /r.
  • However, the cause of the file-corruption may be a failing hard drive.
  • If this is the case, then there may be no benefit in attempting to repair the file corruption (especially if the hard drive is failing badly).
  • Indeed, any attempt to repair the file system if the hard drive is failing badly may make the situation a whole lot worse, rendering any existing data that may currently be recoverable, corrupt and unreadable. :exclame:
In your case ... STOP: 0x000000ED (, C0000185, 0, )
  • Where the status is C0000185 = STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR ... The I/O device reported an I/O error.
    It is an indicator that there may be an error with disk hardware.
I suggest that you create a bootable Linux CD/flashdrive and boot to the Linux operating system:
  • Obtain the hard drive's S.M.A.R.T. data and post it for me to review and establish the current condition of the hard drive.
  • Retrieve backup copies of all your important personal files to another device as a safety precaution before any repair attempt is made.
Once we have done the above, hopefully we will be in a more secure position to consider your options and move forward.

FYI: Here's a link to another topic that I was working on recently and you may be interested to have a look at it.
  • It started with a STOP: 0x000000ED being reported like yours, and we ended up cloning the failing hard drive to a new hard drive.
  • http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic480476.html/page__view__findpost__p__2938219
=====================================
On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:
Boot the problematic computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic, and whether you are using a bootable CD or a flashdrive.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

:step1: Hard drive health

At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.
==============
==============
:step2: Backup your files.

• Double-click the File Manager icon on the Desktop.
  • In the window that opens, you will see listed the partitions of the hard drive (sda1, sda2 etc).
  • Locate the partition from which you wish to copy files.
  • Copy your files to another device (flashdrive, internal or external hard drive).
    Let me know of any problem you encounter and the detail of any error messages that you see.
[/list]The easiest way to go about copying data is to open two separate windows (using File Manager):
  • One window displays the folders/files that you intend to copy (the source).
  • The second window displays the location that you intend to save the folders/files (the destination).
Arrange (drag) the windows so that they are both visible (wholly or partially) on-screen at the same time.
  • Then, simply drag-and-drop folders/files from one window to the other.
    Note: Multiple folders/files can be selected to be copied at the same time.
  • Use the <Shift> key to select multiple consecutive/adjacent items with the mouse.
  • Use the <Ctrl> key to select multiple separate items with the mouse.
Let me know if/when you have been able to complete backing up all your files to another device.

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 January 2013 - 04:53 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 Sophia77

Sophia77

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

How to fix a computer that won't start

A computer that won't start is frustrating, but the problem is often easy to fix. The steps you take to troubleshoot the problem depend on your symptoms. Click the statement that best describes your problem to find a possible solution:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/how-to-fix-computer-that-will-not-start

#10 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Okay, figured out how to get into BIOS to change boot order. I ran parted magic (it selected the default option because I waited too long) and it showed some things on the screen and now a black screen. I'm just waiting for it to do something hoping it's just taking a long time...

Edited by SomeDude1, 08 January 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

OOps ... I wanted you to install PartedMagic (the .iso file that you downloaded) to the flashdrive using Unetbootin ... not to download/install Ubuntu to the flashdrive!

I will post again shortly with some more explicit instructions for you to get back on track.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Oh okay. Well I just turned the computer off by long pressing the power button. It said something about going down NOW and some other stuff I couldn't read in time then it turned off. I took the flash drive out and into this computer. It has 2 folders (boot and pmagic) and 3 files (mkgriso, ubnfilel, ubnpathl) on it.

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

There has been some cross-posting/editing ... and now things are a little confused.

Let me see if I've got this right. You have installed PartedMagic to the flashdrive, and attempted to boot with it. Correct?

You are able to boot from the flashdrive, and see the first menu giving the option "Default settings (Runs from RAM)" Correct?

Then things start happening on-screen and various files are loaded etc.

You are patient and wait ... try waiting for 10 minutes.

BUT ... then the process stops. Please tell me the last thing(s) you see happening on screen (what you can read on-screen).
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

So I think the confusion was which distribution I selected. I went back and deleted everything on the USB and picked parted magic lasted live as the distribution, picked the file, and installed on in the usb again. As before when it asked me to reboot I hit exit and put the usb in the other computer. I will note that during the installation it asks me to rewrite files (even on the original installation).

I'm not starting the computer. Some things go by really quickly on the screen in gray. The last thing I see is "setting up system devices" in blue at the bottom of the screen and then it goes black. The computer is making no audible noise unless I put my ear right up against it. There are no flashing lights. I can tell the fan is running lightly. I'm sure I waited more than 10 minutes last time but will do so again and post if anything changes.

#15 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Okay, it has been over 10 minutes now and nothing has changed. The screen is still black and the computer is making no loud noises. I can tell it's on because some lights are on. Last thing I saw before the screen went black was "Setting up system devices," which was in blue.

Thanks for all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users