Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot gain acess untill 50 years?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 computerfunguy

computerfunguy

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I have a friend's ipad he dropped off to me. It is an apple ipad 64GB(model # a1337) here is the problem. When you turn the ipad on the only thing that happens is a screen comes up and says, "Locked, cannot gain access until, then it gives a date. I think it says about 50 years? I figure this must be a virus BUT this is my first time working on an ipad. What should i do. Is there a reset somewhere? Not much experience with ipads, but im sure i can fix it with a little help. THANKS!

Edited by computerfunguy, 05 January 2013 - 11:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Can you get the exact error message word for word? That will be very useful in determining exactly what is going on.

You can try putting the ipad into recovery mode and then resetting it in itunes. This will wipe everything out though.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4097

#3 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

when you say, "Wipe everything out", do you mean every single app/program? Is there any way to put it back to the factory settings? ALSO, like i said all i get is that message and cannot get past it, so will this method(itunes method) work even if i cannot access the ipad at all? getting ready to read it now. Thanks and any more info you can send will help tremendously.

also, i will get the error message word for word and post if for you. I just trieds but battery is dead, waiting for it to have enough charge so i can turn it on and get the exact message. thanks again.

Edited by computerfunguy, 05 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

This will reset the ipad back to factory defaults, which means just like it was when you first bought it. No apps or other data. If your friend had previously backed up the ipad they can restore that backup.

As for the recovery, yes you can put it in recovery mode even if you dont have access to the ipad screen.

#5 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

gonna try it. thanks. will let you know if it works. appreciate it.

#6 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

i tried this method and when i click restore i get a message that reads, "Cannot connect to server"  My internet is working and everything is working like it should but still get this message?  Is there another way to reset an ipad? 

#7 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Put it into DFU mode. Then reset. It should force it to accept the reset. 

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Now, you must be PERFECT with your timings. If successful, you should have a completely black screen. If not, it will simply reboot the iPad. No consequences. After entering DFU mode, itunes will say it has detected a device in recovery mode, when it is actually in DFU mode. That is normal. Read the guide, it's really simple and fix the iPad probably in under 15 minutes! Don't worry if you mess up your timings, I still do a lot and I've done it 50+ times. Use a clock.

Good luck!

Unofficial iOS Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users