Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dropped Laptop Wont Power Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Viking62

Viking62

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Not if this belongs here or not. I have a Dell Latitude 520 with Windows XP. I knocked it off a desk and now it will not power up. It was running when it hit the floor and promptly shut-off. I have taken it apart and can see no internal damage. Checked to make sure everything is seated properly. Tried with and without power adapter and hard drive. All to no avail.
Any suggestions? Is there a reset after a shock or something like that?

Thanks Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I would suspect that there is something internally wrong that you cannot see. The shock probably broke one of the small traces or a component off the trace. It would be almost impossible to see any damage like that.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 KizzaD91

KizzaD91

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

I know you mentioned that you can't see any internal problems, but have you checked all the main connections (particularly from and to the PSU)? I'm not too knowledgeable with laptops but you could have damaged the PSU; the impact could possibly have short-circuited it. It definitely sounds like a power problem, I can't see any other reason for any computer not to start up at all. I'd get it diagnosed before taking any action.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

Try removing the battery as well as AC power and hold the power button for about 30 secs to reset. Try restarting on AC or battery but reset by removing all power/hold button before each attempt.

#5 Viking62

Viking62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the replys and sorry for the delay responding. I've been off line for a while.
No luck with the laptop. Cant get it to do anything so I got a new one. Was due for it anyway.
I'd still like to get data off the old hard drive though. i have tons of pictures that are not backed up.
Any ideas? Or should that be another thread in a another section?

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

It should be a new thread under INternal hardware.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users