Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows screen after downloading software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#1 brigg

brigg

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

On the 29th, on my Del Latitude 610, I meant to download Color Cop and accidentally clicked on a generic download link right next to Color Cop.
I had to click Accept a bunch of times, and then saw it was downloading little aps like We Care ASPCA, and
ZZip. I cancelled as soon as I saw, and managed to download and use Color Cop last night.
This morning I went to uninstall them from the Add/Remove programs menu option, and it locked up while I was
doing it. Well, to be clear, I could click around, but nothing would respond.

I powered off and back on and it just came up to the blue screen with Windows on it (no users).
Powered off again, same thing.
Control Alt Delete doesnt work.

I powered off into Safe Mode with Networking and it comes up to the same screen.
I tried that again, same thing.

I have a recent copy of Malware bytes and Revo Uninstaller on my flash drive, if I can just get to it.
I can't seem to do that.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your generosity!

P.S. I have a couple of other posts in the forum and they are for my other computer. Another post existed for this problem but it was closed today by the moderator because of the mention of Hirens boot CD, which is an illegal download.

Edited by brigg, 05 January 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Kansas City Mo area - Central time zone 

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hi, :welcome:

Lets give it a try.

We will need to view the system status from an external environment. You will need a USB drive and a CD to burn. There will be several steps to follow.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download driver.sh to your USB drive
  • Also Download Query.exe to the USB drive. In your working computer, navigate to the USB drive and click on the Query.exe. A folder and a file, query.sh, will be extracted.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert them in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • In some computers you need to tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD, in others is the Esc key. Please consult your computer's documentation.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Then type bash driver.sh -af
  • Press Enter
  • You will be prompted to input a filename.
  • Type the following:

Winlogon.exe

• Press Enter
  • If successful, the script will search for this file.
  • After it has completed the search enter the next file to be searched
  • Type the following:

volsnap.sys

• Press Enter
  • Type the following:

explorer.exe

• Press Enter
  • Type the following:

Userinit.exe

• Press Enter
  • After the search is completed type Exit and press Enter.
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as filefind.txt
  • While still in the Open Terminal, type bash query.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as RegReport.txt
  • Then type dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.txt bs=512 count=1

Leave a space among the following Statements:

dd is the executable application used to create the backup
    if=/dev/sda is the device the backup is created from - the hard drive when only one HDD exists
    of=mbr.txt is the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
    bs=512 is the number of bytes in the backup
    count=1 says to backup just 1 sector

It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as mbr.bin
  • Plug the USB back into the clean computer, post the contents of the report.txt, filefind.txt and RegReport.txt in your next reply. The mbr.txt file must be attached to your reply as it is a hex file.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hello, Just letting you know I moved this to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum,where it will stay.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hello! Your assistance is much appreciated.

Just getting started, I downloaded the GETxPUD.exe file. It automatically goes to my download folder.
I double clicked on it to run from there, and it wouldn't. I tried to "run as" and that wouldn't work .I moved it to my desktop and doubleclicked on it there and it wouldn't run from there either. I do have another active post for this the good computer open. Maybe I should wait to work on the down computer until this "good" one is working. Whatever you think.

Brigid

Dell D620 Laptop    -   Operating System:  Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3     -     CPU:  Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz 51 °C     -  Yonah 65nm Technology

RAM:  1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 267MHz (4-4-4-12)    -     Motherboard:  Dell Inc. 53 °C     -     Graphics:  Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)
Storage:  74GB SAMSUNG HM080HI (SATA) 36 °C     -     Optical Drives:  TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C     -     Audio:  SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
PAE Enabled - Installation Date: 3/20/2009     -     Plug and Play Monitor (1280x720@60Hz)     -     Intel Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family (Dell)

#5 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Using SeaTools for Dos - it passed the short and long hard drive tests. I will get bck at it tomorrow. Thanks!

#6 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Which browser are you using?

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#7 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I'm using Chrome.
Anything else I can try? <_<

Also, I was able to get into the folder and find the getandburn.bat file. I'm working on it now.

The burn CD process kicked off by itself. It showed completed and I ejected the disk. The other file downloads/extractions went fine.

I inserted the two into the sick computer. It booted right to the CD. It first made me choose a language. I selected English and it stayed there about 3 minutes and made disk accessing noises. now it is saying:
giving up
no such file or directory unable to connect to X server. serer error. xauth:(argv):1: bad display name "( e):0" in remove command. sh: no job contro in this shell
sh-4.0#
There's more
do you want more?
I can't get to the c drive
I think the burning didn't go right. I"m going to try that with a fresh disk.

Edited by brigg, 07 January 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#8 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I did the extraction/boot creation again.
Rebooted the computer with the flash drive and the cd.
Booted up to the CD.
Wants me to choose a language - English was highlighted.
This time I did not - it said it would start the automatic boot in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 seconds, and stayed
on 1 second for 25 minutes. Two instances I heard periods of time where it was poking at the cd drive (not the spinning noise) for about 20 seconds each instance.
I pressed Enter and nothing happened.
It's stuck at the xPUD screen with Enlish highlighted and
Automatic boot in 1 second (press tab to edit options.

Edited by brigg, 07 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#9 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Wants me to choose a language - English was highlighted.

Press Enter at the language screen. Sometimes it takes a while.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#10 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Because I had chosen a language before and the process failed, I decided to wait it out this time.
I meditated for about a half an hour and could hear the drive knocking around - not the spinning noise.
When I looked up,I saw "Could not find kernel image: /boot/vesamenu.c32
boot:

Sounds like the disk creation process went bad.
I did it twice. I don't know what to do differently for that.

I do have the other bootable disk I created (and ran the hard drive tests on).
It will let me exit to DOS. I guess from there I could get to the flash drive.

What do you think?

#11 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

Is the working computer also running XP?

Lets check the download.

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop in the working computer.

32 bit Download Mirror #1
32 bit Download Mirror #2

For 64bit systems, Please download SystemLook from the link below and save it to your Desktop.

64 bit Download Mirror

• Double-click SystemLook.exe (or SystemLook_x64.exe) to run the application.
  • Copy the content of the following quote box into the main textfield:

:filefind
    xpud_0.9.2.iso
    xpud-0.9.2.iso

• Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.

Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

btn_donate_SM.gif

#12 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sorry for the delay, I lost wireless at home for a while.

both my computers are running XP.

I don't know for sure if I have a 32 bit computer or a 62 bit. Do you know how I can make that determination?

I've been doing everything as if it were a 32 bit.

the second mirror link did not work.
I used the first link. The results are here:

----------------------------------------------------------
SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 17:32 on 10/01/2013 by UserOne
Administrator - Elevation successful

========== filefind ==========

Searching for "xpud_0.9.2.iso"
C:\Documents and Settings\UserOne\Desktop\GETxPUD\xpud_0.9.2.iso --a---- 67108864 bytes [18:18 07/01/2013] [17:39 07/12/2009] 6E5285A6C6B376D7549044286F7BC976

Searching for "xpud-0.9.2.iso"
C:\Documents and Settings\UserOne\Desktop\GETxPUD\xpud-0.9.2.iso --a---- 67108864 bytes [18:40 07/01/2013] [17:39 07/12/2009] 6E5285A6C6B376D7549044286F7BC976

-= EOF =-
==================================

#13 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,577 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

The download is right, the issue could be due to a bad burn. Lets try to make a bootable USB flashdrive.

Here are the instructions.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe to the desktop. The xpud-0.9.2.iso is already in the GETxPUD folder. Please move it to the desktop, so that is next to the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe file you just downloaded.
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Next download http://noahdfear.net/downloads/driver.sh to your USB
  • Also Download Query.exe to the USB drive. In your working computer, navigate to the USB drive and click on the Query.exe. A folder and a file, query.sh, will be extracted.
  • Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer
  • The computer must be set to boot from the USB drive
  • In some computers you need to tap F12 and choose to boot from the USB, in others is the Esc key. Please consult your computer's documentation.
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Then type bash driver.sh -af
  • Press Enter
  • You will be prompted to input a filename.
  • Type the following:

Winlogon.exe

• Press Enter
  • Type the following:

volsnap.sys

• Press Enter
  • Type the following:

explorer.exe

• Press Enter
  • Type the following:

Userinit.exe

• Press Enter
  • After the search is completed type Exit and press Enter.
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as filefind.txt
  • While still in the Open Terminal, type bash query.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as RegReport.txt
  • Then type dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.txt bs=512 count=1

Leave a space among the following Statements:

dd is the executable application used to create the backup
    if=/dev/sda is the device the backup is created from - the hard drive when only one HDD exists
    of=mbr.txt is the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
    bs=512 is the number of bytes in the backup
    count=1 says to backup just 1 sector

It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located in the USB drive as mbr.bin
  • Plug the USB back into the clean computer and post the contents of the report.txt, filefind.txt and RegReport.txt in your next reply. The mbr.txt file must be attached to your reply.

Edited by JSntgRvr, 10 January 2013 - 07:53 PM.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#14 brigg

brigg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I got this started - need to run an errand and will be back on task when I return!

#15 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,577 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

:thumbup2:

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users