Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect for IE 32 bit only

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mark2828

Mark2828

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I have the classic Google Redirect symptoms. Within the 32 bit IE, it affects Bing, Yahoo and Google. However, the Google toolbar works correctly as long as I don't go "Back" Most of the information I've seen online relates to root kits and installed services and even LAN redirection. None of those apply here. I have absolutely no symptoms in the 64 bit version of IE, nor in Google Chrome. I have not installed Firefox.

I have verified all LAN settings. I have checked the hosts file. I have deleted all Temporary Internet files and cookies. I have checked the non plug and play devices in the device manager and looked for TDss or any strange service - none are apparent. I have used a tool called autoruns to check for browser helpers - nothing unusual showed up. Managing add-ins within IE also shows nothing special.

I therefore have concluded that my particular problem relates to a file that is somehow unique to IE 32 and/or a setting in the registry which is unique to IE 32.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for this particular instantiation? My next step was going to be to open all the folders and subfolders within IE and ultimately Windows to look for files created recently (problem probably showed up a month or so ago, although I didn't notice it at first) and/or compare my file sizes and types against another Windows 7 computer, although I don't have another home Windows 7 computer to compare against.

Meanwhile, I've made Chrome my default browser and am also liberally using IE 64. This is therefore in the category of an annoyance - it's not affecting my ability to do whatever I need to, but I don't like having viruses lurking around.

Needless to say, my security suite (McAfee) has no clue that anything is wrong.

Thanks

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 January 2013 - 04:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users