I have verified all LAN settings. I have checked the hosts file. I have deleted all Temporary Internet files and cookies. I have checked the non plug and play devices in the device manager and looked for TDss or any strange service - none are apparent. I have used a tool called autoruns to check for browser helpers - nothing unusual showed up. Managing add-ins within IE also shows nothing special.
I therefore have concluded that my particular problem relates to a file that is somehow unique to IE 32 and/or a setting in the registry which is unique to IE 32.
Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions for this particular instantiation? My next step was going to be to open all the folders and subfolders within IE and ultimately Windows to look for files created recently (problem probably showed up a month or so ago, although I didn't notice it at first) and/or compare my file sizes and types against another Windows 7 computer, although I don't have another home Windows 7 computer to compare against.
Meanwhile, I've made Chrome my default browser and am also liberally using IE 64. This is therefore in the category of an annoyance - it's not affecting my ability to do whatever I need to, but I don't like having viruses lurking around.
Needless to say, my security suite (McAfee) has no clue that anything is wrong.
*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*
Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 January 2013 - 04:21 PM.