Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing another OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kondo

Kondo

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

I'm new about this dual boot thingy but I have heard about this before already. I am planning to install OpenSuSE as suggested to me by my colleague.

I am wondering how would I install it without overwriting my old OS, Windows 7 Ultimate. Or is it automatically installed without having my old OS removed?

I have searched about this, and found this link. Can you verify if this is actually the way to do dual-boot? I need to be very careful on doing this. :)

P.S. I am not definitely sure if I placed this thread on the right section. If not, please move this in the proper section. Sorry and thank you!

Edited by Kondo, 05 January 2013 - 05:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Here is another link with information about dual booting and the Linux GRUB Loader, and things to do to avoid problems. I think if you follow the instructions for dual booting windows on the tweakhound page exactly you'll be ok. I provided another link for comparison purposes and maybe answer other questions you might have that weren't answered on your link.

Both links emphasize backing up before doing anything, if it goes bad you can always go back to where you started.
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users