Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Blu-Ray Drive works, previous DVD drive doesn't

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sylhelp

sylhelp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Hello all,

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 660 (desktop). I'm running Windows 8. I got an internal blu-ray burner and I wanted to add that to my current DVD drive so there would be 2 drives. There are two "ports" (one empty and on with the DVD drive) and I was able to install the blu-ray drive just fine, but now the DVD drive doesn't "work."

What I mean by that is there is no indication of the DVD drive when I go into My Computer. It only shows the Blu-Ray drive as drive E:.

I'm attaching a picture so you can see how the hardware is set up. The issue appears to be the solid orange cord which is currently going into my blu-ray drive. Basically, whichever drive that orange cord is hooked up to will work, but then the other does not. (Drive E is whichever the orange cord is hooked up to, then there's a drive D which is a "removable disk" but doesn't recognize DVDs/Blu-Rays if I put them in the tray.)

Is there a way for me to get both of them to work? I really need to be able to play DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted Image

Edited by sylhelp, 05 January 2013 - 04:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

whichever drive that orange cord is hooked up to will work, but then the other does not

You've identified the cause, the drive that is no longer connected cannot operate. The cable in question is the SATA cable, and you will need a second one connecting the second drive to a second SATA port on the mainboard. If there are no more SATA ports available, you'd need to fit a suitable SATA controller to provide extra SATA ports. If this is the situation, let us know the mainboard brand & model, or the computer brand and model if it is a namebrand like HP or Dell.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 sylhelp

sylhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Thanks. I figured I was sort of answering my own question, but I didn't understand the logic in the computer having space for two drives, but only one connection, so I thought I was missing something somewhere.

In any case, it doesn't look like there is any other SATA port. I've taken another picture to show you where it's located and what surrounds it. There are actually 2 empty black ports next to the right one (which is white in color) but I tried plugging the cord into those and they don't allow the drive to be recognized so obviously that's not what they're for.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 660. Hopefully that helps you identify the mainboard. Thanks again for your help. Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

Attached Files

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

......but I tried plugging the cord into those and they don't allow the drive to be recognized so obviously that's not what they're for.

You are doing something else wrong then. Those are SATA ports. First, get another SATA cable and hook up your remaining drive. Boot and look for drive in BIOS. If it is not shown, ck for any options to enable/disable SATA ports.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 January 2013 - 06:08 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 sylhelp

sylhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

thank you. ill give that a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users