Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 to Windows 8 disastrous upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yesplease

yesplease

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

Ok so this is the upgrade from hell. I will try to explain everything as much as I can, because I am really stuck and want my computer working again.

I have a brand new Dell XPS One 2710. It came with Windows 7 already installed. Well I didn't think that was good enough so I decided I was going to try to install Windows 8. I downloaded Windows 8 Professional. I had a little trouble at first. It would start to install then restart, after it restarted it would say my computer encountered an error with a big sad face and said it had to restart, so it would but just continue to keep loading to the error page. At this point I could decide to either install Windows 8 or load Windows 7. After resetting multiple times I got it working and installed. The next morning after turning my computer on, I was getting the same loop I was getting while trying to install. But this time it would load windows recovery or something like that, but that wasn't able to fix it. So I kept going into the options to try rebooting with different things, but none of them were working. Then I went into BIOS and restored to default settings and that loaded it once, and gave me the option of installing windows 8 or loading windows 7. I chose to load Windows 7, but then got a bunch of error messages saying files were missing, probably because the were in the old folder from the install. So NOW when I try to start it I get an error message saying:
"Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.
File:\Boot\BCD
Error code: 0xc0000034
You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer."
So I burned the Windows 8 onto a DVD and tried to put it into my computer so I could load from there, and I kept going into BIOS to boot my CD drive. Didn't do anything. Also when I start my computer I can press <Ctrl + I> to go to "Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM" where I can either: 1) Reset disks to non-raid, 2) Acceleration options or 3) Exit. So now when my computer turns on it goes straight from the screen where I can press Ctrl + I to the Recovery Error screen.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to fix this. I'm hoping not to lose any of my files if possible. Thank you for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hi

You are probably going to have to start over from the beginning now. Did you make a recovery disk set or USB? That way you can get back to how the system was when you first got it.

You may want to contact Dell for information on upgrading this particular model to Windows 8. Especially if you did not get the Windows 8 upgrade from them. I believe that model may have some special drivers that are required and I am not sure that they come with or are accessible from a regular Windows 8 disk. I could be wrong about that.

James

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

just have to ask ,where did you download win8 pro from ,i for some reason thought that the upgrade was not a full download[using windows anytime upgrade ] of win8 ,just the files needed to upgrade win7

as james suggested i would do a Dell recovery and get the laptop back to win7 factory setting,and start over

Edited by caperjac, 06 January 2013 - 08:14 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

IMO, Windows 7 is a better operating system than Windows 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users