Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new laptop won't stream videos smoothly.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 S.O.S

S.O.S

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I shouldn't really be surprised but when I received my new laptop in the mail today, I had certain expectations. I've spent most of the day setting it up and getting things ready to roll and I went to stream Netflix and saw this. very. halting. stop. and. start. playback. Worse than the old crappy laptop I'm replacing! So I google and find that I need Adobe Flashplayer. I check the programs that were loaded by the manufacturer and it wasn't included. Only Adobe Reader, whatever that is. So I downloaded that. I downloaded Java for the hell of it, though I'm not sure if that was necessary.

I restarted the computer and tried Netflix again. Same. exact. problem. I'm pissed, to be frank. I haven't purchased a new computer in 12 years and I remember the first one I bought came fully loaded with virtually every program I needed to hit the ground running.

I have Windows 7 on the new laptop. I couldn't bare the thought of tackling Windows 8 so I chickened out. If anyone can give me some suggestions for things to look for in the computer, or things that I should download, I'd be ever so grateful. It's nearly midnight here and I'm just going to go to bed without my favorite bedtime movie to lull me to sleep. Cry me a river. I know. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

Thanks in advance! (It's an Acer Aspire.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

Netflix doesn't use Flash. It uses Microsoft Silverlight which I think comes with Windows 7. I just got a new PC and Silverlight is there. Maybe you need to update Silverlight.

#3 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Maybe your internet connection is simply too slow. My wife and I each have a relatively new laptop, and we can't stream videos either.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Frank316 is correct, Nteflix uses Microsoft's Silverlight, not Adobe Flash Player.

You can download it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users