Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyway to get a safe distro of linux live?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

My computer runs win7, pirated, with tons of pirated software on it. I am hesitant to type in my credit card number or make any sort of online purchase, considering how possibly compromised my system is. So I figured I would download and install linux to a USB drive, and use the built in firefox browser to do my online shopping. I just need to know that the distribution of Linux live is legit and not redesigned by a distributor to spy on me, log my key strokes etc.
The version of linux live that I currently have on a flash drive, was downloaded via bit torrent, so who knows what sort of spy/trojan hacks it could have built in.

Is there an "official" safe place to download Linux Ubuntu Live?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

http://www.ubuntu.com/ and specifically this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I guess maybe a little googling could have probably saved you from having to answer.
I downloaded the distro, installed it with Universal USB installer. And everything worked flawlessly from the get-go. I chose to make it non-persistent, that way no matter what I run or what website I go to, no malware can infect it. It installed every driver I needed on boot, I was able to locate firefox, the wireless router icon, type in my router password, and instantly surf the web like it was Windows. Wow man, I am loving Linux.
Before this, the only experience I had with Linux was that other live CD, which couldn't find a proper driver on my old lap top, for the monitor. In fact, no linux/unix system, rescue disk, .etc would work with the monitor, only the installed Win7 would allow the screen brightness to be "up". So I was barely able to read the screen. But I chalk that up to a very rare anomaly of the monitor having a bizarre driver etc. Other than that, my only knowledge of Linux was watching a youtube demo of it.

So basically this was my first time actually using Linux, and it was awesome!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,840 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

You're welcome. And wasn't an issue. I already knew where to go. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Joseph Edwards VIII

Joseph Edwards VIII

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just worth noting that you can do a checksum (MD5, etc) when you download a Linux ISO and be sure of the integrity of the code. That said you only rarely have to worry about malware at all in Linux -- just lately because of the Java 7 scare. Still using Linux from a thumb drive won't change your IP address so you can still be tracked.

If you're out to build the ultimate os on a stick check out the Tor Browser, http://torproject.org/ and BackTrack 5 Linux (Ubuntu):

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/backtrack/backtrack-5-release/

I keep it installed on an encrypted usb 3.0 hard drive.

#6 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Backtrack is very high end and not made for day-to-day use or for the average user. It's a live forensics toolkit. ;c)

Tor is great, use it daily as it does hide your IP and other information, provided you don't DL or do silly things with it like install flash.

As for a safe, maintained, and well supported tool for shopping and surfing have a look at Tails, it's made for this sort of thing and what I have the kids use. It's based on the Tor tools as well.
You can get it here; https://tails.boum.org/contribute/ or from the main Tor blog site; https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/tails-releases

Regards,
Zen

#7 iceman85

iceman85

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Linux is free if you download it from official sites.. you only have to pay a small fee if you choose the CD/DVD delivery by mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users