Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clever Virus? - Internet, Virus Scans and Restarts Disabled!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ead346

ead346

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

So I've been saving up for a new computer for ages and, has befits my luck, I now have and within two months there's a problem. Obviously, I really want help with this and this is the best place to go after being shunned by PC World imo. Anyway, on with some details.

Computer: Sony VAIO
Stuff it has: 6GB Hardrive (I think), 2GB separate memory card thing, i5 Processor. Can't remember anything else
Operator: Windows 8
Browser: Internet Explorer, fairly sure it'll be the latest one, so that's 10
Security: Norton 360 (again, a fairly new version I think).

So, the problem started gradually. A couple of weeks ago, I started having the odd problem with internet explorer. I'd load up a page and an error message (can't remember exact wording) would come up saying can't access site blah blah. No problem. Hit F5 to refresh. There's the website, as usual. The problem gradually got worse with this occuring more frequently and a more worrying version occuring too: I'd load up IE and be faced with a white screen. Completely blank. No error messages or anything like that. Again, not much of a problem. Close it down, occassionally have to wait a but, and then re-load.

Now obviously these problems were really rather annoying so I looked to download another browser. I'd been reliably informed that Firefox was a no-go since it was full of cookies and lots of data that clogged up the system, so I ruled that out (something I kinda regret now). I downloaded Chrome, and after a few mishaps it worked. However, it had a combatability issue with the website I spend probably half my web-time on, so that ruled that out. Being, at the time what I thought to be clever, I unistalled the whole thing to save space and conserve speed. Then I switched to Opera and, well, this was the time the problems were pretty dire. It just wouldn't download. At all. Again, I'd been reliably informed that, other than those 4 browsers, none are that great. So I gave up on that.

Amongst these Internet issues, there have been some others too. Firstly, I noticed that my laptop would not restart. You could click 'restart' and then wait and watch the screen, but you could leave it for hours and nothing would happen. Shutting it down then turning it back on immediately after was fine, but not restarting.

Finally, one of the latest problems is concerning Anti-Virus. As I mentioned, I have Norton 360. I went on that since I suspected the above problems were down to a virus. I ran a scan and it did nothing. Just kept saying "Files Scanned 0", "Viruses Found 0" etc. I tried again in a day or two and, upon loading it, I saw that the "Security" thing was red (for those of you who don't use it, there are four 'boxes' you can click on on the main page. Security is one of them'). The others was fine, but Security was red, and it told me I needed to run a scan. You're telling me. So, there's a handy, "Fix Now" button which automatically runs whatever needs to be run to address the problem. In this case, a 'Quick Scan'. The quick scan screen would flash up for a second and then say it could not be completed, with a fitting red cross to demonstrate this. I tried to run a 'Full System Scan'. For those of you who don't know, this does a Live Update, then the scan, then a Tuneup and finally a back up. The Live Update would complete fine but then the Scan would be skipped again saying it could not be completed.

So, after these problems have escalated, I'm left with the following situations. I cannot run scans, as described above, nor can I restart. If I load up Internet Explorer, I'm faced with a completely white screen. No URL displayed, no error message, nothing. The only thing I can get to show is, if I click a new tab, I get shown the websites I visit most, as usual, though even those have gone funny lately. If I try to click on one of these, or indeed type in a web address, it will let me, though when I hit enter I'm faced with the same blank screen. I did try connecting to the Internet using some of Windows 8's Apps that use the Internet, such as News. These apps just didn't load, and nor did they update themselves as they should and once did.

What have I tried to do? Well, firstly, I made sure it wasn't my Internet Connection. I tried connecting to my internet with my iPod and another laptop. Worked fine. I then tried connecting the problem laptop to two separate internet connections, with the same result. Clearly that's not this issue. As you may know, Windows 8 comes with it's own little version of Internet Explorer, listed as one of the apps. I tried using this. I'm faced with a similar white screen. If I try to type anything into the URL bar, I can get a few characters in (my record is three) but then the whole app freezes. I've also tried doing the whole "Network Diagnostics" thing. The troubleshooting says that it cannot identify the options. Upon exploring additional ones, I chanced upon a PC Reset, or something called something to that effect. This, it said, would reboot my system, reset some stuff and uninstall apps that didn't come as a default but my files would be fine. Great, I thought. So I went ahead with it. To my dismay I encountered the same screen I see if I try to Restart my system. It takes forever. I, at first, put this down to the computer having to reset stuff etc, which'd take time. After about an hour, I've just decided it's the same problem that causes normal Restarts to malfunction.

Oddly enough though, the rest of the computer works fine. Other Windows 8 Apps that require no Internet, such as Photos, work fine. In addition, Microsft Word, Excel and their buddies work fine too. I can even watch DVDs on it, which run as smooth as they ever have done.

So, excuse my possible paranoia, I think this problem is down to a very clever virus which has got into my computer and is slowly eating away at it, first taking out its main weaknesses, disabling Anti-Virus and PC Restarts so it can't be removed and reset and stopping the internet from working to perhaps stop me downloading stuff that can kill it, or maybe just so it can break me, the user too :P As a result, I've tried to use it as little as I can, which I hope will help. As for how I may have picked it up, I'm unsure, since I deliberately only accessed sites I know and trust and haven't opened any weird e-mails to try and avoid such a problem. My only though it that perhaps it came from a site I've momentarily accessed when I click on a picture belonging to that site that I've found on Goodle Images.

So anyway, I really hope that you guys could help me with this, or at least direct me to somewhere/one that can. I paid a lot for that laptop, and a fair amount for the Anti-Virus.

Thanks in advance,

Ead

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hello, I would like to do these.

MiniToolBox
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please Download TDSSkiller
Launch it.
Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system
Click on "Scan".
Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Do not change the default options on scan results.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image
      icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ead346

ead346
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

I'm not sure you understand - the virus, if that's what it is, has disabled the internet. So I can't get on the Internet to download those things.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

>>>
For the connection try these...

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

WIN7/8.. Please Download this file,
Click Me
Right-click on winsockfix.bat and click on Run as Administrator.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users