Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer error

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 eggscalibur

eggscalibur

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hello,

I am currently having problems with my laptop computer, an Acer Inspire 5920 running Vista Home Basic SP2. I first started encountering problems about two weeks ago, with a BSOD or two, huge delays or even hangs on startup, and such. Eventually, Vista wouldn't even boot, and it just prompted me to do a system restore, which I did. That got the PC booting up, but it removed all non-essential drivers, and it seemed to remove all executables from both partitions of my HDD. I mean ALL executables, even the picture viewer and notepad wouldn't run.

I decided to use the running pc to backup everything important and format. Not having a Windows CD (I live in France and there simply wasn't one in the box when I bought the PC from a retailer), I made a bootable flash drive using diskpart with Vista Home Basic on it and went through the format and reinstall process.

Everything looked fine, and once Windows update was finished and all my drivers re-installed, the PC ran perfectly. After a couple of days, I started getting the following error : Microsoft Windows Search Indexer stopped working and was closed. I also got a few errors from other services that seemed rather important.

Following Windows' advice from "Problem reports and solutions", I ran Eventvwr (event viewer) from the run prompt, and it told me to look for "1005" errors, of which I found several. When I double click for more info, I get :

Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\Prefetch\LOGONUI.EXE-09140401.pf for one of the following reasons:  there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage  drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing.  Windows closed the program Host Process for Windows Services because of this error.

Program: Host Process for Windows Services
File: C:\Windows\Prefetch\LOGONUI.EXE-09140401.pf

There are others, concerning the following files:

Program: Windows Defender User Interface
File: C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

Program: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
File: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010007.dir

Program: Host Process for Windows Services
File: C:\Windows\Prefetch\LOGONUI.EXE-09140401.pf

Program: Problem Reports and Solutions
File: C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll

This last one three times:

Program: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
File: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects\SystemIndex\Indexer\CiFiles\00010007.ci

Anyway, after a rather extensive internet search, I couldn't find a fix that seemed to work, so I have come here looking for help! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated =) The only thing that Windows recommended was to reinstall the operating system.. seeing as this is a fresh install, I'm not entirely sure how that would help.

Additional info: first program I installed and updated was Spybot, ran a scan, found nothing but cookies. I also ran checkdisk, no problems.

Thanks,

Mat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users