Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive not able to read disk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mandybyrd421

mandybyrd421

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A215-S7462 with Windows 7 Home Edition. I am unable to install any new software, play a dvd or cd. It wont burn a cd either. The icon shows that it is working and I can hear the drive responding. All drivers are up to date. The dvd drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17LF ATA. PLEASE HELP!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

When you say you can't install any new software, how are you trying to install it? I'm guessing from CDs?

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there is a problem with the DVD/CD-ROM?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mandybyrd421

mandybyrd421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Yes I am trying to install software from a cd. Device Manager tells me that the drivers are up to date and the device is working properly.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Try the fix for this at Microsoft Support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mandybyrd421

mandybyrd421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Ran FIX IT. Says Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable. Inserted 4 more cds and ran program each time. Still nothing.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Can you try this drive in another computer?

I'm hesitant to suggest anything else without knowing whether the problem is with the drive or the operating system. One problem which could cause this would be corrupted upper and lower filters. This can be corrected by deleting them, but this involves editing the registry. This has some risk involved since you can render the computer inoperable if any mistakes are made.

Microsoft has their own suggestion for backing up the registry, I believe the following method is easier and will accomplish the same thing in the long run.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Microsoft's Instructions

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrator rights and permissions. Then, follow these steps.

Caution: The following instructions will involve making changes in the registry, because of the potential danger of damaging the registry with an improper entry, it is important that you back up the registry before starting the registry changes. Use the following instructions to back up the registry.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control
, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.

6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer

If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060

Edited by dc3, 06 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#7 mandybyrd421

mandybyrd421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

No other computer available to try this drive in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users