Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've Been Spywarequaked!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sprinks

Sprinks

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:00 AM

God bless web sites like this. What can be done with companies like the one hijacking computers with their software? I am at work, so I won't have a report as to my success removing the SpywareQuake program, but I will report back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Sprinks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:20 AM

Welcome to BC and good luck with removing SpywareQuake!
Unfortunately, on the Internet as in other aspects of life, malicious and greedy people will always be lurking. and it is unreasonable to expect that filling the jails with culprits will ever stop more of them from finding ways to harm others.
What you can do, however, is to be sure you have as many layers of protection as you can and follow best computer security practices. Using a firewall, a resident anti-virus and several anti-spyware applications, and keeping your operating system patched is the first step. Spending some time learning about malware will provide the kind of knowledge that prevents uncautious mistakes.
Both in the Tutorials, as well as in the forums, BC provides a weath of information that will raise your level of awareness and expertise in this area. "Knowledge is power."
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 27 March 2006 - 04:17 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 pthfix

pthfix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

I too came to this website for assistance with Spywarequake. After many hours of searching, I finally found out that you can make this go away by following these instructions.

1. Go into your control panel and click on Add/Remove Programs.
2. Find the Spywarequake program and remove it.
3. Close out of the Add/Remove screen and also close your Control Panel.
4. Open My Computer and your C drive.
5. Open the "Windows folder. It may say that these files if changed could damage your operations, but open
them anyway.
6. Scroll down to the "System 32" folder and open it. Again, you may be warned that changing these files
could damage your operation, but don't be scared...open the "System 32" folder.
7. Scroll down to the file "stickrep.dll".
8. RIGHT CLICK ON THE FILE "stickrep.dll" and choose "Rename" from the drop down menu.
9. Rename the file using your first name, followed by".dll".
10. Close all windows and Restart your computer.

This should remove the self-loading of the Spywarequake process, without changing any other functions of your computer. I am using Windows XP Home Edition, but I THINK it will work on any operating system. I don't know. I do know that I no longer have the icons in my system tray or the annoying pop-ups. All my research has been done over the past 24 hours after my Grandchildren were playing on my pc. Please let me know at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx how this worked out for you so I can proceed with other research. Good luck, I've been told by several programmers that there is no cure for this problem but found out on the BC forums what file had the problem and after performing these actions I am no longer bothered by the problems it caused.

pthfix

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want.

Edited by tg1911, 27 March 2006 - 03:10 PM.

"Nine of the ten voices in my head tell me not to do it."

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:15 PM

Though you are technically right...that method will remove the infection, this infection also can be bundled with other trojans that change certain settings on your computer. Also your instructions should be reversed. Rename the file, reboot, uninstall spywarequake and then delete the file.

As your method will still not fully clean out the infection, we advise people use the following complete directions to fully clean their computer:

How To Remove Spywarequake

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! Sprinks.
Follow Grinler instructions. He is always ready. :flowers:

Good Luck,