Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't save restore point

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Masterix

Masterix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Hi, I'm new here.
I had a problem with my new computer. Everytime I did a fresh installation of Windows 7, after several days, there was some kind of problem involving the Windows Installer service: suddenly I couldn't install or uninstall any program, because the service kept freezing (except from those which don't use Windows Installer). Everytime I did a format, the problem was gone, but it was just a matter of time for it to reappear. At some point, I tried to disable the restore points of W7, and the problem was solved.
Now the problem is that I cannot enable the restore points, or even save any restore point. It just freezes in the process of creating it. I think this might be related to the problems I traced by launching some scannow (it can't seem to manage to repair anything, and the same errors show up everytime). I attached a scannow log (I had to cut a part in the middle because the file was too big for attachment, and rar or zip files can't be attached; the important part shoud be at the end).

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

update: I launched a "chkdsk c: /f /r" command using the Windows 7 Repair Tool (boot from Windows 7 DVD). After a restart the situation is still the same, and the scannow displays the same errors. It seems the problem is not related to file corruption; moreover, I have a brand new Samsung 830 SSD, so it'd have been unlikely.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   491.22KB   2 downloads

Edited by Masterix, 04 January 2013 - 08:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

You have a new computer- did you check on whether or not the warranty covers what the problem is?

#3 Masterix

Masterix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I've built this computer by myself, the guarantee applies only to hardware.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

If it isn't fixed yet, I would consider starting over
At first you had Windows Installer problems, now you have System Restore issues and then consider investigating Windows Installer problems since this appears to be the basic problem
One item you can check is "How to troubleshoot problems when you install or uninstall programs on a Windows-based computer" which includes trying to fix the problem automatically or manually
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users