Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts off at random after an upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Atpass

Atpass

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hello everyone.

First time posting, and I apologize for going straight to the new topic button, but I needed some help and this forums seemed as good a place as any to ask.

Here is my Speccy sheet so you have an idea of my system information:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sWvmfibC7WivniA1T0o5VUv

Recently I got a new GPU, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti. My power supply was older and did not have enough amperage along the +12 volt rail to run the new card, so I got a new power supply as well; it is a Corsair VX550W power supply, model is CMPSU-550VX.

Got both pieces of hardware installed and they ran for about a day with no issues. Today, however, the computer shut down randomly without warning. There was no BSOD, it simply shut off (and then began to start up again). I was browsing a website at the time although I had recently been playing a game.

I opened the box and touched the components to feel for heat. Neither the GPU nor the power supply were warm to the touch. My main hard drive was a little warm, and I did have to reposition it in the case to fit the GPU in.

I installed and ran Speedfan for a while while I played another game, to see if things were overheating. The GPU got to about 52 degrees C, everything else was lower then that.

The computer shut off twice more over the course of the day, every time while I was doing something non-system intensive.

So, there's the backstory. My questions are as follows:

1. I did my best to check the PSU against the GPU to make sure it could run it. Is the power supply insufficient? All requirements seem to be met...but do I need more power then 550 W to run the rest of my computer (after the 450 from the card is taken)? If so, what should I go up to? 600? 750?

2. The GTX 660 has two auxiliary power cords coming from the side of the card, I had them both plugged into the power supply, do I need them both or just the one?

3. Could it be an overheating issue? I have about five fans in the case at the moment (GPU fan, motherboard fan, PSU fan, two extra fans) and a air intake in the side of the case, surely this is enough?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Unlikely to be an overheating issue as 52 degrees is hardly overheating on a 660Ti.. Yes you need both 6 pin power connectors plugged in the GPU, it's a 6 pin right? And if you're gonna upgrade your PSU, then yes better safe than sorry go for the 750W or 800W with a good and reliable manufacturer i.e. Seasonic, XFX, and some Corsair and Cooler Master PSUs..

#3 Atpass

Atpass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

So it could be just not enough power?

Well, that seems to match up with my testing, I have been running with my old GPU and the new power supply and no issues so far, so it shouldn't be a defective PSU.

But my question is, if the 550 W is insufficient, why did my computer even turn on, much less run for a day and a half?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users