Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DW Dual Band wifi card keeps dropping connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hey all me again this time with some weird troubles, On my laptop I have a Dell Wireless Dual Band Minicard {1490 number} and it keeps dropping my connection to my wifi network. For a time it worked OK, it showed a steady 36/100 signal speed or better any time of day with a Good to Very Good signal strength. It was mere hours ago when the connection started to just stop staying connected to anything, The signal kept disappearing and saying I was disconnected. I checked my router, the thing is working perfectly.

Then I updated to thle astest update for my wireless adapter, {2010 was the last driver update} Now, even with the updated driver, the thing STILL wont keep about 36/100 or better and now will drop to 5.5/100 or less on a Very Good strength. What the hell is wrong with my adapter ? Is it fixable ? Is it replaceable for cheap ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Could be interference from a new RF source either yours or a neighbors. Try switching channels on the router to see if that helps.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Tried that, no good, connect dropped completely when I set the router to automatic, or even another channel. I have it on channel 11, but even then it is hard for me to get here of all places. I used to have a good solid connection any where in my house, but something is forcing me to eiither plug in, or worse, get closer to the danged router when I want to be in the dining room or bedroom.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

f there is no new interference then the only real suspects are a failing router or a failing WNIC. If possible trying using another wireless device to see where the problem lies. if it works fine then we know the problem is in the laptop. If is experiences the same lack of connectivity then the router is probably to blame. If it is the router. I would do a firmware update the reset it to factory defaults, and finally set it up for your typical settings.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users