Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Comparisons

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

I already know the difference between the two systems that I am currently looking at, but my dad (given the type of guy he is) wants personal opinions from tech wizards. I can't, no matter how hard I try, to convince my dad to get either one.

My dad wants to the difference between a Single-core CPU mated with 2GB of PC/PC2 memory, and a dual-core CPU mated with 1GB of PC/PC2 memory. The reason I say both types of memory is because I've read reviews everywhere that there is no noticable diffirence between the two. Oh, yea. Both the CPU Types we are looking at are 64-bit CPUs. Another thing, we are looking at the Pents because we are on a budget.

Thanks

Edited by legoman786, 27 March 2006 - 10:32 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

Also, can somebody explain in layman's terms how multithreading works? This is not for me, it's again for my dad. He really doesn't see the benifit of multi-threading right now.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

Might give you the link as well: Intel multi-threaded marketing flash.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:46 PM

Wow, thanks for that find Mr Alpha

- Rick Cook

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

It is hard to say anything without knowing more about the systems and budget, and what the machine is for. But I can say that seldom are Intels cheapest dual-cores worth it. The loss of single-thread performance in favour of multi-thread performance only pays of in certain specific situations. Also, generally AMD is a cheaper than Intel.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:55 PM

Mostly home use... Medium gaming, burning, word processing, Visual Basic (my dad uses it), chatting, heavy internet surfing... For our budget we are looking at a max of ~$500 w/o monitor. We are also looking for a CPU faster than 2.5Ghz. Also, I went to Newegg and their Pents were cheaper than the AMDs. I don't know how, but it is.

Edited by legoman786, 27 March 2006 - 04:00 PM.

- Rick Cook

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

Also, I went to Newegg and their Pents were cheaper than the AMDs. I don't know how, but it is.

Which processors were you comparing?

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Athlons and P4 64-bit/PD

Ok I have no idea how, but I just found cheaper AMDs. Around the same price range that I found that P4 630 in... But here's the thing, my dad won't settle for anything under 2.4Ghz. AMD or intel

Edited by legoman786, 27 March 2006 - 04:07 PM.

- Rick Cook

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

When looking at newegg.com the cheapest Athlon 64 was $120 and the cheapest Pentium $102 at One Day Sale. The $120 Athlon will outperform the $102 Intel with a nice margin. Honestly, though, with a $500 budget, looking at Semprons and Celerons might not be a stupid idea.

#10 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

I wouldn't mind a Sempron or Celeron, but once again, my dad just can't sleep right if he owns one. I really have no idea what he wants. But I will talk to him as soon as I can to see if he just wants to shave a little money from not getting a top-of-the-line-ish CPU.

EDIT: I just talked to him, he doesn't want a Sempron or Celeron.

Edited by legoman786, 27 March 2006 - 04:30 PM.

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users