Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help on graphics card upgrade from an old computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LemontBigsby

LemontBigsby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hi there. So I play league of legends with my friends on a oldddd computer and would like to upgrade my video card from what I believe to be an onboard graphics card. I have two newer laptops that broke down with age so I am not really wanting to buy a new computer. I just want a graphics card cheep and low enough that I can play on a more stable fps above 20 fps.

My computer is a HP Pavilion a730n. Besides upgrading my RAM to 1GB in the past, I have made no new upgrades. I am willing to shell out like $30 on a new one from what I have seen on Newegg and Tigerdirect (from what I heard they are good websites to buy from)

I checked out the website will it run and all my parts besides video card meet recommend requirements. I clicked the link and it directed me to TigerDirect and found a nice looking card for $20. I cant understand what all the numbers mean but would it be a good buy? And would it work on my computer?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7373215&Sku=P450-54500

These are my computers specifications according to HP.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00233082&lc=en

Much help would be very appreciated.

Oh and I heard from somewhere that my power supply factors into whether a videocard works on my computer? How so?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Your PSU is rated at 300W, the suggested wattage for that graphics card is 400W. You would need to upgrade your PSU in order to use it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 LemontBigsby

LemontBigsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Oh so if I want to find a graphics card, then I need it to match my DC output? Is that the trick?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

That or upgrade the PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 LemontBigsby

LemontBigsby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

OK! That makes sense thank you. So a PCI-Express card is what I would be looking for then thats equal to or less than 300W. Is there anything else I should take under consideration? Like most of these say they are Directx11 compatible but does that mean the card will not run on xp? I know I need windows 7 minimum to run DX11.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

That XFX 5450 from Tigerdirect will work because it draws very little power and there should a improvement in FPS.

Edited by killerx525, 04 January 2013 - 01:21 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Use this http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine it will give you an idea of how much power you need for your system..
And no, it's not DC output, basically it's just the total power you're PSU can supply give or take the years you've used it and the manufacturer that makes the PSU.. If the PSU can provide enough power for your system, then that's good.. With 300W generic PSU, it is safer to assume that it provides less than 300W of power..

#8 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

OK! That makes sense thank you. So a PCI-Express card is what I would be looking for then thats equal to or less than 300W. Is there anything else I should take under consideration? Like most of these say they are Directx11 compatible but does that mean the card will not run on xp? I know I need windows 7 minimum to run DX11.

Card will run fine on XP you just cant play any DX 11 games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users