Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard, Can't upgrade to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Conspicuous

Conspicuous

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

So, I recently built my new computer with a friend, and I used the Hard drive and Graphics card from my old one, which had windows Vista. When we finally finished, I popped in my Windows 7 disc and selected upgrade. It tells me that I need to restart my computer normally and run it from there, but the problem is that I can't! I also don't have a Vista disc, so I can't repair my vista install, and I don't even know where to find Vista disc anymore.

My only other option would be to install windows 7 but that would wipe my hard drive, and I haven't backed anything up.

Is there anything I can do to back up what I have on that hard drive without taking it out of my new computer? If I buy a new hard drive ( Which I do intend to do, but I thought it could wait a little while ), will I be able to install Windows 7 on the new hard drive and have everything work smoothly?

Edited by Conspicuous, 03 January 2013 - 09:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I popped in my Windows 7 disc and selected upgrade. It tells me that I need to restart my computer normally and run it from there, but the problem is that I can't!

What happens when you restart the computer?

Do you get a Stop error?

There is a problem which can occur when a hard drive with a Windows operating system is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows.

You can use Ubuntu Live CD to recover your data from the hdd, here's a tutorial.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

You can use and external case for your HDD, so that you can use it as an external HDD then copy your important files to another computer.. Or you can use your HDD on another system, probably your friend's and set his/her HDD with working OS as master boot device and set yours to SLAVE/secondary. Then copy/back-up the necessary files..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users