Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DAMN NEW COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Teneille

Teneille

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

i got a new ASUS touchscreen laptop for christmas, have used it 3 times. got photos on it from christmas eve. Anyways, for some strange reason it wont startup properly, comes up with "Diagnosing PC".. im pretty sure and then up comes a blue screen. In white writing it says automatic repair then explains how auto rep. cant repair my computer. Can anyone help me use command prompt and hack into my picture files? im definitely taking it back to the store and asking for a new one but i just want the photos first. thanks (:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

:lol: I wouldn't call data recovery "hacking"

Anyway, there are a few workarounds to this. The first thing we want to do is avoid opening the case, because the computer is still under warranty and we don't want to void that.

To get your photos off the laptop, you will need a blank CD and a flash drive of appropriate size, or 2 blank flash drives. I prefer Ubuntu for non-complicated access and recovery issues, so we will start there. Ubuntu is a Linux OS that can be run from a CD or flash drive without installing to the hard drive, and thus allowing us to access your data.

Download Ubuntu. It is a decent size, so download time depends on your connection.

To burn it to a CD:
:step1: Download InfraRecorder, select the Installer 2000/XP/Vista/7 option.
:step2: Install it to your computer and open it.
:step3: Open the program and select the "Write Image" option
:step4: Navigate to the Ubuntu .iso image you have downloaded (most likely in %user%\Downloads )
:step5: Follow the prompts and burn the iso image to a CD or DVD. You shouldn't need to change any options.

To boot from a USB flash drive:
Go here and follow the instructions.

Edited by MDTechService, 03 January 2013 - 07:56 AM.

If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Once you have either created the CD/DVD or flash drive, start up the problem computer. Watch your screen for the "boot menu" option, and press the corresponding key as soon as you see it.

Select the appropriate device (USB/Flash) or (CD/DVD) and move it to the first position using the + or - keys.
Press <F10> and confirm to save and exit.

The computer should now restart and attempt to boot from the device you have selected. It will take a few minutes, but you should be presented with a screen asking you for a name, to set up your network, and a couple of other basics.

:step1:Once the Ubuntu desktop has loaded, you should see a folder icon on the left panel. Click on that to open up a window that is most likely within your Ubuntu user directory.

:step2: Now, along the left side you should see a Devices and Computer section. Under the devices section, you should see your laptop's hard drive with a size indicated beneath it.

:step3: Click on the hard drive to open it up in the explorer.

:step4: Navigate to C:\Users and select the user account that you have your data saved under.

:step5: You should now be able to view your user data as it is stored on the hard drive. Insert your flash drive and open a new window.

:step6: Once you have clicked on your flash drive in the Devices section, you should be able to click and drag your data to the flash drive. Note that you can use CTRL+click to select multiple non-consecutive files, and Shift+click to select multiple consecutive files (all inclusive).
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#4 Teneille

Teneille
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

can you tell i dont really "do" computers. im good at taking them apart just out of curiosity but none other (: thankyou for your help. ill see how far i get before impatience betters me (:

#5 Teneille

Teneille
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

is there a quicker way? like getting the computer to start through command prompt even with the temperamental issues its having?(:

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

All things considered, after you take a few deep breaths, I think you will find this method much quicker and more efficient than us trying to give you command line instructions.

At a typical download speed, you should be well on your way, if not completely done, with moving your files and data in 2 hours of keyboard time (actual time sitting at the computer).

Edited by MDTechService, 03 January 2013 - 08:18 AM.

I <3 Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users