Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Is Way Too Slow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yes-r

yes-r

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:54 AM

hello how are you guys doing?
I seem to have a problem with my pc, the thing is my pc is actualy not that old. I bought it seven months ago and it seems like my computer has been infected with virus called WINFIXER., but i think i removed it by using spyware program called hitman,spybot,adaware etc. Now my computer is so slow i cant even open a page without frustration. Everytime i play music the music seems to jump,skip,stutter. I do know what else to do . I even downloaded vundo(am i right) and it couldnt find anything. I even have run ewido and my computer seems clean, but why is it so slow? is it registry? incase your asking yes i did defrag it.

Any help?

thank you

Yes-r

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:05 AM

Take a short time to review this checklist, if you have complete the seven steps already, let us know and we can go from there:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

By "slow" do you mean applications are slow to launch, your browser does not navigate as quickly as earlier and you have trouble downloading from the Internet, and when you are having stuttering problems with music, is the source a file on your hard drive, or are you listening directly from the web?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 yes-r

yes-r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

by slow i mean if i want to open a page it takes way too long, for example i clicked quote and it took around 20 to 30 seconds to show me this page im writtin in now. I'm playing my music through I-tunes, and sometimes through bearshare but it still stutters i only discovered this last week.

Edited by jgweed, 28 March 2006 - 11:22 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:54 AM

If these things just happened recently, which is what I take it to have happened, your hard drive is most likely infected with some kind of malware.
Run, in Safe Mode, your anti-virus (make sure the definitions are up-to-date) and let it fix anything it finds. Since you have scanned with several anti-spyware applications, the next step (if the AV scan does not fix the problem) is to submit a HijackThis! log to our volunteer team of experts for their analysis; they will then help you get rid of the malware.
Please carefully read and follow the instructions in this Guide before posting:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Regards,
John

#5 yes-r

yes-r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

thank you for the information , but i have tried running Norton antri virus 2006 on safe mode and it wont budge, I do have other anti virus programs, which one do u recommend i run in safe mode? Avast,ewido,kas(something i got it from this website)
which one would be the best if u run in safe mode and what am i particulary looking for? do i post the log?

Edited by jgweed, 28 March 2006 - 11:21 AM.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

I am not sure about what "won't budge" means. Running your AV in safe mode will allow it to quarantine some malware that would normally be "protected" by Windows outside of safe mode. You could certainly disable Norton and then update and run, for example, Avast.
If you can get one of these to complete and scan, and have it clean up whatever it finds, the next step would be to post a HJT log as instructed in the Guide. Malware can be very sneaking and esconce itself in all sorts of places; our team is very expert and hunting malware down.
Regards,
John

#7 yes-r

yes-r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:51 AM

okey i ran anti-virus in safe mode, but it only found cookies(firefox) but it was alot of cookies though. so how would i post hjt?(im a noob)

(Moderator edit: HJT post split from thread and moved to HJT team forum so they can review it and help the member. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 28 March 2006 - 11:25 AM.

#8 yes-r

yes-r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:13 AM

i'm a bit noob, so whats next ?

#9 yes-r

yes-r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

my computer is gettin worser and worser, i downloaded panda and it found 7 things i removed it. Now almost 1 in 3 times my computer shuts its self down and i see blue screen with information with something about the memory and it says it had to shut down windows before it damaged my computer , any idea? i know you guys are working on the hjt but why is it gettin worser?

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

You said in an earlier post that you had several anti virus programs!!!!!! You should only be running 1 anti virus program. If you run more than 1 it can cause problems with your computer. I would suggest that you pick which anti virus program you think is the best and delete the others. ( don't just disable them) Then see if your computer still runs as slow.

BBPP6nz.png

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

thank you for the information , but i have tried running Norton antri virus 2006 on safe mode and it wont budge, I do have other anti virus programs, which one do u recommend i run in safe mode? Avast,ewido,kas(something i got it from this website)
which one would be the best if u run in safe mode and what am i particulary looking for? do i post the log?

Are you talking about resident anti-virus programs of on line scans?

You can use (have active) only one resident, installed and operating antivirus program running on your computer as more than one will cause conflicts.

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your problem.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 April 2006 - 09:45 AM.

#12 yes-r

yes-r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

i already posted Hjt and now one responded yet, its in the hijack this thread. Oh yeah thanks for telling me not to run more then one anti-virus because i was running atleast 3. My computer did pick up speed since i deleted most of the anti-viruses from my computer but whenever i want to multi task or open new window the same slow problem is there.

Thank you

yes-r

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users