Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applying Thermal Paste

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Had a problem with my brother's processor fan screaming bad, so ordered a new one (Intel) and it comes with the shroud, heatsink and fan (I'm assuming it's all together when I get it). And ordered thermal paste as well.

Will have to remove the old stuff and apply new paste as well. So if there's a tried and true method of cleaning and applying it would be greatly appreciated.

My nephew said I could use 409 on cleaning it and have looked at a few videos online on applying the new paste, but those videos are different and wanted to ask the experts here. One guy said to use a business card to spread the paste over the whole processor, where as another one said to just put a BB-size dab on it and then put the heat-sink on and it should be good to go. :crazy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

Ask 100 people, get 100 different techniques on application. Generally, follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific CPU you have. If you have thermal compound oozing out the sides when you secure the heatsink to the base, you have too much compound.

To remove the compound, I use alcohol prep pads, however Q-tips and 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol works as well. There are commercial solutions available, however I've never used them myself.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

The purpose of the thermal compound is to enhance the thermal convection (the transfer of heat) between the PCU and the heat sink. When you look at the underside of the heat sink which attaches to the CPU it looks smooth, the heat sink under high magnification will actually show that the surface actually isn't smooth. The thermal compound fills these voids so that there is a better heat transference. It takes a very small amount of the thermal compound to do this, the two description that I think are about right are the size of a grain of white rice, or a BB.

To clean off the surfaces of the CPU and the heat sink a plastic card, such as a debit/credit card, does a good job of removing the old paste. You must be careful not to scratch the surface of the CPU, this can cause problems. Once the dried paste is removed you can use isopropyl alcohol to remove the remaining residue. Be sure to wipe the surfaces to remove any residue after the alcohol dries.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Thanks all, will take advice and wait for the heatsink to some in soon. Will just have to pick up some alcohol to clean the processor instead of using 409.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users