Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to link up modem with wireless router sorta

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

I am not too sure what it is called what I want to do, but it does have a name though. (I think)

Anyways here's my situation:
I have one Comcast SMC DG3 modem to which I have my home computer hooked up directly to the modem as well as my wireless router(Cisco Linksys E1000 v1).

Now I really like the homegroup feature, but my laptop cannot see my desktop because they're on a different "network" I guess that you could say.

I was reading about extenders and repeaters but I don't think that this is what I want because I only have one wireless router and the signal strength is fine.

I appreciate any help in figuring this out!

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Dear nesto1000,

Yes, I think you pretty much nailed it. You can hardwire your home computer into the wireless router or join it wirelessly to your router ( usb wifi reciever). I think this will take care of this issue. You are probably correct, all device need to be on the same network.

Edited by ComputerMedic2013, 03 January 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#3 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Dear nesto1000,

Yes, I think you pretty much nailed it. You can hardwire your home computer into the wireless router or join it wirelessly to your router ( usb wifi reciever). I think this will take care of this issue. You are probably correct, all device need to be on the same network.

I understand that I can hard wire my PC to the wireless router, but I don't want to do that. I have the wireless router setup in a different room with custom wiring that I did through the wall and I don't want to move it from that place.

I know that there are ways for the router and modem to communicate that they are on the same network, but I don't really know how.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#4 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yes, then I would purchase a usb wifi reciever or a wireless card for that computer and connect going wirelessly from another room.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Your Cable modem is only a gateway Device, If your Pc is connected directly to the modem it should be assigned the only outside IP address. How is your Router getting access to the internet? Is it going through the PC?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yes, then I would purchase a usb wifi reciever or a wireless card for that computer and connect going wirelessly from another room.

Not a fan of wireless.

Your Cable modem is only a gateway Device, If your Pc is connected directly to the modem it should be assigned the only outside IP address. How is your Router getting access to the internet? Is it going through the PC?

The router is getting the internet from the gateway as is my desktop.

Posted Image

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

You need to do the following.

1. Make sure the wireless router has DHCP turned off.
2. Connect the modem to one of the LAN ports of the wireless router.

You want to bypass the router function since you are only trying to use the wireless to provide access to the network. If you use the wan port the computers can not get addresses from the dhcp server on the comcast router/modem which will techinically end up with them on seperate networks.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#8 ComputerMedic2013

ComputerMedic2013

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

If the above won't work, or if you find that the computers that are connected to the wireless router are unable to get out onto the internet. You can try this:

Make sure that you have the ethernet cable running from one Lan port on the ISP modem to the WAN port of your router.

1. Disconnect your computer from your ISP's modem and hook up direct with an ethernet cable into your wireless router. Log into your wireless router, look for the IP settings that are being assigned to that router, write the IP address down that you find including default gateway and subnet mask ( example: IP: 192.168.0.2 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 ).

2. Now instead of turning DHCP off, some routers have a portion where you specifically assign a starting IP address. Start your IP addresses in the example: 192.168.0.3 range . Disconnect your computer from the wireless router.

3. Before you hook your computer back up to the ISP's modem statically assign and IP addresses to the local area connection of that computer of 192.168.0.4 w/ a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 .

4. Hook you computer back up to the ISP's modem. Then any wireless computer, statically assign IP's subnet masks and defualt gateways to the wireless network connections for all computers that you would like to be a part of the homegroup. Starting with 192.168.0.5 and up using the same default gateway and subnet mask.

A completely off the wall suggestion, just throwing it out there.

Note: Step 2 may or may not work. If this does not work, turn DHCP off on your ISP's modem ( Lan tab ). Turn DHCP off on your router but assign the information that you wrote down in step 1 on the public facing IP address side on the routers interface. But still statically assing IP's to each individual computers connection medium ( LAC and WNC ) starting with (example: 192.168.0.4) w/ a defualt gateway of 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 . This may cause NAT problems, if so then disable NAT on your router aswell.

Let us know how you make out.

Your ISP's modem manual: http://www.smc.com/files/AV/SMCD3G_Cable_Modem_Gateway_UserManual.pdf
Your router manual: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/E1000

Edited by ComputerMedic2013, 04 January 2013 - 08:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users