Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New graphics card and ram installed on computer- No difference

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 agosden

agosden

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I have previously posted in the gaming section looking for help with this, and a very helpful member has directed me here to try to get some additional help with my computer problem. The original thread can be seen here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic480304.html/page__p__2937165__fromsearch__1#entry2937165

I was having some trouble with gaming- Freezing and low frames per second. I did some research which suggested that I should upgrade my memory and my graphics card. I ordered and installed 8 gb of Crucial DDR2 ram (2gb x 4) and a EVGA 650 ti gtx 1gb graphics card. I have had no difference in gameplay whatsoever with the upgrades. I should also mention that my step son is running a bit better computer than I have, but not by much, and bought the exact same upgrades as I did. His FPS has gone to 100 fps, while I am getting around 20 and as low as 1-3 fps with complete freezing.

Things I have tried- with no change
-Went into BIOS to make sure the onboard graphics was off- It was not marked, but instead PCI was marked. I changed it to PCI 16x-
-I have adjusted my settings in my game (WOW) and tried to play with every setting suggested in different WOW forums to increase FPS
- I have downloaded EVII to test fps in that game and was getting 10 FPS
-I have changed the ethernet cord
-I have tried all different ports in the router
-I have unplugged the other computers to the router
-I have used a wireless adapter to test if it is a hard wire connection (my stepson is on the same connection but on wireless while I am hardwired)
- I have tested the fps while nobody else is on the network, or everyone in the house is and see no difference

Here is a snapshot of my system

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Y3gjNKpUNVZHK3cvAhgEqm4

Can anyone help me determine what is going on here? This is really frustrating and there has to be something that is holding me back with these upgrades making a difference.

I appreciate any help anyone can give

Edited by agosden, 02 January 2013 - 10:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hmm...possible bottlenecking with low DDR2 speeds?

Edited by MDTechService, 02 January 2013 - 10:35 PM.

If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yes, I edited it. Sorry about that- Sometimes my fingers move too fast and it posted before I could type it out. :whistle:

#4 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

My man your RAM is very, very slow... you should be pushing at least 1066, but i'd recommend 1333 if the memory controller on that CPU can handle it. Also, the AMD 3 core CPU isn't exactly for gaming. Can you list your steps sons system as well so maybe we can compare and point out the key differences?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#5 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I am sure I am going to sound really dumb for this- But I am fairly new to this stuff and trying to figure it out so forgive me.

Am I able to upgrade to better ram? When it was suggested that I should upgrade my RAM, I actually bought DDR3 ram- and got it home to install- And it wouldnt fit- Physically into the motherboard. The connections were different. So I ran a program on the computer that suggests upgrades and it suggested the DDR2 ram. It said that you have to stick to the same, if you have DDR2 ram you always have to have it and cannot upgrade to DDR3. Is this incorrect?

When I went to buy my DDR2 RAM, I couldnt find anything other than the 2gb kits that are 800 mhz. Am I missing a better DDR2 upgrade that I could get?

My step son will be home in a few hours, ill have him do a speccy and post it.

Thank you for your thoughts.. This is maddening!

#6 agosden

agosden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/f83odtnEJLnVKskOmZrST23

Here is my step sons specs.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

I would do a few things. First I would be sure ALL of your hardware is using the latest drivers. That means motherboard, sound, network, everything. Then be absolutely sure WOW is completely up to date. If that doesn't work then since you and your step son are using the same video card swap his into your rig and test to eliminate the possiblity your card is causing the issue. There really is no reason your computer should not be running WOW just fine.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#8 Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Your CPU and motherboard might be the ones causing the bottleneck for your system.. You have an am2+ board with a phenom x3 while your son has an am3 board.. Since I'm in the mood to answer some questions, LOL I'll make my reply to your problems as comprehensive and informative as I can..

1. Your CPU and motherboard are the most likely cause of your bottleneck to your system, the GTX 650 Ti even though it's an entry level card compared to the 660 Ti and above will play games at ultra/high settings in any resolution at a decent FPS.. I myself have played Far Cry 3, BF 3, Borderlands 2 and many more with the GTX 650 Ti at ultra/max settings @ 1440x900 with FPS around 30-60 depending on the game I'm playing, so your GPU is not the problem!

Am I able to upgrade to better ram?

Speccy did not specify what model your motherboard is but most likely from what I searched this is your motherboard:
<click this link to hp site>.. You have an am2 motherboard,

Socket type: AM2+
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology X2 up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 3800+

Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

So yes, you'll be able to upgrade your RAM to a total maximum of 8GB RAM provided you use 64bit Windows, and 4GB of RAM running in 32bit Windows.. And no you won't be able to use any DDR3 RAM sticks.. As for the scarcity of DDR2 RAM, DDR3 is more common nowadays and there are no new generation motherboards that are using DDR2.. Also you'll only be able to run your RAM @ 800Mhz :(
Also your motherboard's PCI-E x16 slot might be only 1.0 or 2.0 I think which will limit the bandwidth that your GPU can use.
Hence the old motherboard causing the bottleneck..
You can't upgrade to an am3 socket processors or Bulldozer/Steamroller (AMD's newest line of desktop processor)..

Now let's go to your stepson's motherboard and cpu.. Your stepson has this motherboard: <click this link to biostar site>
As you can see, it is an am3 motherboard, capable of support AMD's awesome phenom x4 and x6 processors that even though they are old they still pack a punch especially when overclocked..

Support Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333 MHz
2 x DDR3 DIMM Memory Slot
Max. Supports up to 8GB Memory

So you can see your stepson runs his RAM at a very noticeable frequency hence the large difference between your system along with the CPU performance.

1 x PCI-E x16 2.0 Slot
2 x PCI Slots

HP neither speccy nor HP mentioned what type of PCI-E slot your motherboard was but your stepson has a 2.0 slot and yours is probably 1.0, hence the bandwidth difference..
The two motherboard also has a different chipset so yes, even though you have the same videocard upgrade, no matter how powerful that GPU is, GTX 680 or HD 7970, the CPU and motherboard will drag that GPU's performance down..

Other than your CPU and processor, your HDD's are fine if they are not defective yet..
Also if you will get an upgrade in motherboard and processor that will surely fix this problem..
Side Question: What power supply do you have? Your stepson's?

Tips and Tricks:
Alwasy check the motherboard's site, they will mention in the specifications tab what type of RAM slot you have, DDR3/DDR2/etc2 along with the support frequency that it can run the RAM at..
Check the motherboard's CPU socket type, am2+ motherboard will be able to support am3 processors (phenom x4 or x6) but will require the latest bios if your motherboard has one that allows you to support those am3 processors.. (Hence the term "+" in am2+, same goes for am3+ motherboards, they will support FX Bulldozer and FX Steamroller and most probably AMD's next line of processors) The motherboard's site will also indicate the socket type so you just have to search there.
Also PCI-E 3.0 GPU's are backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0 slots, but there is the difference in bandwidth..

#9 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Baltboy is on the right track here. I run an Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4800+ 2.5 Ghz processor, 4GB PC6400 - 356Mhz ram with a GT440 card and WoW runs fine on high at 60FPS. Daughter runs a Athlon II X2 240 @.8 Ghz prcessor, 2GB PC6400 ram with a GT440 card and Wow runs on high at around 80 FPS. So I would think your system should be fine for WoW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users