Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 will not boot

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 TRG9386

TRG9386

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I had my laptop in hibernation mode but it wouldn't wake up. I then had to do a manual shutdown. Windows 7 wouldn't reboot so I was redirected to System Repair. I was given the following info:

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: Unknown
Problem Signature 04: 837
Problem Signature 05: Autofailover
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: No root cause

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I don't believe that I have any system restore points set up. I was able to restart the computer in safe mode with networking. I am running Malwarebytes right now, but nothing has been picked up yet. I have seen no signs of malware on the machine recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by TRG9386, 02 January 2013 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Are you able to access command prompt through the recovery environment?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Are you able to access command prompt through the recovery environment?

Hi there,

I'm currently in safe mode with Malwarebytes running. I am able to open the Administrator command prompt.

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Are you able to boot into the recovery environment that would either be on a recovery partition or by using a Windows 7 installation disk?

While you are in safe mode, download and install Speccy. Export to text and attach it with your next post.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#5 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

After a restart, I pressed F8 to get into the system repair options. I do have access to the command prompt.

I have downloaded and installed Speccy, but when I open it I get the error message "cpu dll init failed (error2)" and then it immediately crashes.

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Ok, Speccy isn't a big deal at this point.

Open command prompt and run the following:

chkdsk /r <enter>

sfc /scannow <enter>

I <3 Linux

#7 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

After the first command it says:

The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

After the second:

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again.

#8 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Ok. Follow its instructions and repeat the process as long as it directs you to.

I <3 Linux

#9 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Apologies for the delay. The start-up repair environment took about 25 minutes to appear up after only restarting one time. It was stuck on the windows start-up screen background with the cursor.

After all of that, I am still getting no change. Should I restart again even though it took 25 minutes last time?

#10 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Just to give an update--I followed through with the procedure about 5 times (restarting after every attempt).

"chkdsk /r <enter>" gives me this: "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."
"sfc /scannow <enter>" gives me this: "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

Every time I restart and try to get back to the recovery environment it takes about 20-25 minutes for it to initiate. It automatically tries to run a repair and then says it cannot fix anything. I then access the command prompt and all five attempts have yielded the results above.

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 1545. I don't have a Windows CD and I didn't partition any drives myself. I assume that the D: came already partitioned as a recovery disk. I also just noticed that I cannot get back into safe mode anymore, either. It just sends me into this Windows Repair loop.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll just sit tight and wait to hear your next suggestion.

#11 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

I just realized that I might be running "chkdsk /r" against the D: (recovery disk) and not C: (my hard drive). Could that be why I'm getting the "write protected" error?

Editing post to avoid spamming the board (sorry about the 3 posts in a row). I just found out that I can boot to the desktop by using "last good configuration." Unfortunately I don't have my hard drive with me to migrate most of my data. However, it would be great to figure out a fix that would enable me to boot the PC normally.

Edited by TRG9386, 03 January 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#12 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Using last good configuration, were you able to successfully boot into Windows?

I <3 Linux

#13 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Using last good configuration, were you able to successfully boot into Windows?

Yes. Everything seems "normal" when I use last good configuration (it seemed to reset to about the moment in time when I put my computer into hibernation--right before the problem started).

#14 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Well, I tried to reboot normally and it did not work. Now I cannot boot to Windows using "last good configuration" either. So I can't get to Windows at all. Back to square one I'm afraid.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really lost on this.

#15 TRG9386

TRG9386
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I just noticed a BSOD "unmountable_boot_volume" message. That seems to be the problem I'm having. Evidently this is a common problem, but I'd appreciate it if someone could help walk me through a fix that does not involve data loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users