Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP boot loop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shafer5

shafer5

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Please bare with me, I'll try to explain this issue to the best of my ability. I'm no expert by any means but I'm no dummy either, at least I don't think.......

My grandmother called and said she was having problems with her computer. When I get there it keeps giving me the "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Start windows normally" there may be a couple other options but I can't remember. It keeps boot looping to that non stop. I couldn't even boot into the BIOS. When I put the XP cd in it looked like the HD was completely erased. There wasn't anything valuable on the PC so I went ahead and reformatted and reinstalled a fresh copy. Upon doing so I got it back up and running. As I was installing all the necessary drivers for the network card it prompted me to restart the computer and wouldn't you know, it went back into the boot loop.

Is this due to a faulty NIC? It is built into the motherboard so there's no replacing it, I don't think....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Does Windows load successfully into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking, or does the system crash when attempting that also?

Please do the following ...

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death):
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.
    Important! Look in lower part of Technical Information to see whether any driver file name is provided in the error message.
Note the text in the lower left-side corner of the error message screen. In the example image above, it reads:
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical dump of memory complete.
Contact .................... for further assistance.
Please report what you see on your error screen if different.

When you have recorded the error message, you will need to press the RESTART button or the ON/OFF button (and hold for 5 seconds), to restart/switch off the computer.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 January 2013 - 04:35 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 shafer5

shafer5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

First off, thanks for replying!

No it doesn't let me boot into any of the options....

Only thing that it says on BSOD is...

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Tech Info
STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF78A2528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

There's nothing after ^^^

Edited by shafer5, 03 January 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Please provide the make and model of this computer, and whether a Desktop or laptop.

Exactly what installation disk was used to do the installation (or did you restore from a recovery partition ??).
  • Was the installation disk a genuine retail Microsoft disk (what Service Pack ??), or was it an OEM installation disk from one particular manufacturer?
Please elaborate on how you went about installing Windows XP on this computer:
  • Did you delete any/all existing partitions before beginning the installation process?
  • Did you simply format an already existing partition and install Windows on that?
STOP: 0X0000007B (, 0XC0000034, , ) STOP 0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

A STOP 0x7B error does give us something to work with. I immediately suspect corruption (?malware infection) of the MBR (Master Boot Record) as one possible cause ... if you did not delete all partitions on the hard drive before proceeding to install Windows XP.

I can say that it is not likely "... due to a faulty NIC?".

Can your grandmother supply any information about what was happening on the system prior to the initial problem? That might give us a clue about the initial problem, and perhaps the current problem.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 January 2013 - 09:15 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 shafer5

shafer5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

This looks like a custom built Desktop, here is the mother board in the case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130068

I didn't realize it was custom built until later on. I used an old OEM CD they had (I don't own any windows install CDs) XP Service Pack 2

When I put the CD in it looked as if the entire HD was erased. I couldn't get into the recovery console. It was reading that the whole HD was free. There was however a partition already so I just reformatted and went ahead with the fresh install.

I agree with the fact that it's not a NIC issue. My grandmother had been opening up attachments people were sending her. I immediately suspected a virus of some sort.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Some options for you to consider:
  • If you were interested, we could take a look at the MBR to see if the problem lies there.
  • You could enter fixmbr at the command prompt in Recovery Console ... and see if that fixes the problem.
  • You could perform a clean fresh installation of Windows XP:
  • Either ... delete all partitions and then create a partition and format it ... and then continue with the installation ...
  • OR ... Firstly wipe the hard drive clean with something like dban (Darik's Boot and Nuke), and then boot with the XP CD and partiton, format and install XP.
Let me know what you think.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users