Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thee Ox

Thee Ox

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

:busy:Hello to all.

My Norton is set to expire soon, and the thing is getting more expensive every year. I was looking into telling Norton to take a hike and
using instead free antivirus or perhaps the free Security Suite from my ISP.
So what would you suggest?
Keep Norton, or use free antivirus software? And if so, which free antivirus package(s) would you suggest?

Remember, the keyword here is Free .

Thanks!
Thee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Which free Security Suite from Your ISP. They are not all equal.

If you are signed up with some of the online vendors they offer limited time, sometimes only for hours on different brand name antivirus. I believe I paid Approx. $20US or so for a three user Norton Internet security that way. And I ordered some deep discount Video and Image editing software that came with a copy of free Kaspersky antivirus from a 3 hour special.

One quick question, Has the Norton kept you safe? I know Mine has blocked things when I hit a malicious webpage. Every fall I take advantage of there free version upgrade when they come out, Example from 2011 to 2012 to 2013.

Avast free or Avira free would be OK too.

From here, Antivirus, Antimalware, And Antispyware Resources Updated Aug. 8, 2012

Here is a list of Virus/Malware related links, software, and resources to help with the removal of Spyware. This list has been created from a variety of sources and anyone is free to copy this list in its entirety for their boards or other purposes. Please note that BleepingComputer does not provide any warranty that these tools will work as advertised or not cause further problems to your computer. Please use only if you understand what you are doing.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 January 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

I've never been a fan of Norton, although they have gotten much better in recent years. I have always been a supporter of free programs such as Avira and Avast.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

Have been using MSE for awhile...works for me.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

I've never been a fan of Norton, although they have gotten much better in recent years. I have always been a supporter of free programs such as Avira and Avast.

I remember i traced an outgoing communication attempt to a remote adress when i installed Avira (could be avast) that lead me to Advertiser/spyware company.. since that i never trusted them :mellow: most likely it was Avira.

Im using boxed environment when running unknown executables and beside that Windows built in SP FW and working just fine. Though i don't have Java or PDF , Office installed or any popular exploited programs. For mostly home users i recommend an AV but it isnt really neccesary anymore just a FW and precautions.

I could with honor say :thumbsup: that i was never infected by an drive-by infection during my browser actions using firefox since i had my first PC. Don't get people who are using IE

#6 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

I remember i traced an outgoing communication attempt to a remote adress when i installed Avira (could be avast) that lead me to Advertiser/spyware company.. since that i never trusted them :mellow: most likely it was Avira.

Im using boxed environment when running unknown executables and beside that Windows built in SP FW and working just fine. Though i don't have Java or PDF , Office installed or any popular exploited programs. For mostly home users i recommend an AV but it isnt really neccesary anymore just a FW and precautions.

I could with honor say :thumbsup: that i was never infected by an drive-by infection during my browser actions using firefox since i had my first PC. Don't get people who are using IE

Avira (like Avast) had occasional ads for their pro versions. Not sure if that would require accessing an advertisement network though. Antivirus programs are necessary for people who aren't as knowledgeable about safe browsing habits. People that fall for such scams as "MaxMySpeed.com" and those other scams they advertise on TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users