Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiped Hard Drive....Can't reload Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mcmurray

mcmurray

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello;
I just recently used Kill Disk to wipe clean my 80 GB Hitachi hard drive on my Dell Optiplex 755 computer. I am now trying to reload Windows XP Pro but am not having very good luck. After a couple of minutes of downloading I receive the following error message: “Stop. 0x0000007B (0XF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)”. I have tried reloading several times but keep receiving this same message. Should I have reformatted the hard drive after wiping it clean with Kill Disk before trying to reload Windows Xp? If so what program could I use that would boot itself from a CD /DVD drive so I could carry out the reformatting?
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

After a couple of minutes of downloading I receive the following error message: "Stop. 0x0000007B (0XF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)".

What are you downloading and from where?

The Stop error is for an inaccessible boot device.

Do you have the installation disk for this operating system?

Should I have reformatted the hard drive after wiping it clean with Kill Disk before trying to reload Windows Xp? If so what program could I use that would boot itself from a CD /DVD drive so I could carry out the reformatting?

If you are installing the operating system from the installation disk partitioning and formatting the hdd is part of the installation, in that order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mcmurray

mcmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thank you for your reply. The sentence below should have read "After a couple of minutes of trying to reload Windows Xp I get the following Message etc.

"After a couple of minutes of downloading I receive the following error message: "Stop. 0x0000007B (0XF78DA63C, 0xC0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)".

I am using the installation disk when I am receiving this message.
The installation disk reads the hard drive as I performed a diagnostic test with it and it said the hard drive passed all the tests.So if the error means an "inaccessible boot device" would it be able to do a test on the drive but not be able to write to it? If so then would you suugest that it might be a defective cable or maybe a bad hard drive?
Would appreciate your imput.
Thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

The message you are receiving refers to an inaccessible boot device, this is because you wiped the hdd and the operating system is no longer there. Further more, you may have wiped the partition on the hdd for the recovery which would have restored it to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.

What installation disk are your referring to?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mcmurray

mcmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I am using the Dell reinstallation disk, Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2. As soon as the computer is turned on and goes to the install disk in my DVD drive it immediately starts loading the driver files etc from the disk. It does not show any screen for partitioning or formatting. It just starts to load the driver files etc and after a minute or so it says "Going to Windows" and then the blue screen appears with the error message. Tried it several times with the same results.

#6 Daavee

Daavee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Here are the specs for your PC:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_755_techspecs.pdf

P. 30 tells us your drive is SATA.

You have two choices:

1. When given the chance to press F6, do so, insert the floppy that has the SATA controller drivers, and install when prompted.

2. Alter a setting in your BIOS, switching from SATA mode to IDE mode (or its equivalent) before attempting to boot off the CD.

#7 mcmurray

mcmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thanks very much for your reply Daavee. I have put aside this project for a few days but have ssved your suggestion.
Thanks again to you and dc3 for your information. Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users