Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus G60J Laptop Does Not Turn On

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gorgod

Gorgod

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

So it started tonight, when I went to get a cooling pad for my Asus laptop as it constantly overheats. There are many things wrong with this computer, honestly, but really the only ones that I would like suggestions for would be this one, as it's the one that's stopping me from using it haha. So yeah I went to get a cooling pad when I also decided to buy a mouse for my laptop. I've had this laptop for around 3 years, and surprisingly have never used a mouse even though I probably have more games than I need on that thing. So I come home to plug it in, but I accidentally plug it in the one I know is the one that is flipped or something. Whenever I plug it into that one, the laptop strangely crashes, however normally I can simply start it back up and everything is fine. This time, however, I plug it in and it totally goes off. My battery is also broken (I know, lots of problems with this thing) so it can't survive for 2 minutes without being plugged in. So I plug it in again and it turns on automatically without me even pressing the power button. This has happened to before, I believe, but it definitely didn't automatically turn on- in fact, it didn't turn on at all. Last time I recall myself banging on it and it turned on. I'm not sure if it was the banging that turned it on or just time. But anyways my laptop simply turns on by itself, but the display doesn't show up at all. The lights turn on, but otherwise there is no sign of any other activity, including the fan, except for a peep from the disc drive.

It gets worse. Not only does it turn on by itself, but it also won't turn off unless I take out the battery entirely and cut off the power supply. And when I try to turn it off, it seems like it does for a second but then comes back on with the caps and num lock on. I tried banging on it like I did the last time but no luck. So then I tried waiting, but again, it still didn't work. If there are no solutions, I might just wait until the morning and see how it fares then, but I thought I would come on here just to try to get an idea of what is happening. And again, it's an Asus G60J model computer running Windows 7.

Edited by Gorgod, 01 January 2013 - 11:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

The first question to ask here is how much time and money you are willing to sink into this computer.

Generally, banging on it doesn't fall in my repair algorithm :D
That said, you have probably loosened a couple connectors inside from the banging. With the persistent overheating issue I also wouldn't rule out a connector creep, which is where the frequent heating and cooling (and therefore expansion and condensing) of internal parts may have loosened connectors.

The mouse more than likely caused a brief short if it immediately crashed the system without a BSOD. An IRQ/resource error is possible, but impossible to diagnose without being able to boot.

The symptoms you are describing currently indicates a problem at the motherboard level. The "peep" from the hard drive is indicative that the system is receiving power, however when the system fails to start the hard drive simply goes into a standby state because nothing is requesting any data from it.

The cap/num lock lights can also function as a POST error indicator if you notice it is flashing repeatedly.

So to give you an idea what is happening... There's probably some loose connectors inside, if not broken components. System board damage from excessive heat is a definite possibility. You are looking at several hours if you attempt to pull it apart yourself, and bill > value if you take it to the repair shop.

My advice? Remove the hard drive. You still have (hopefully) recoverable data and a "no operating system found" error would be a blessing at this point. The rest of the computer - circular filing cabinet #13

Edited by MDTechService, 02 January 2013 - 05:40 AM.

If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users