Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery No Longer Charging

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jewelclaw

Jewelclaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yesterday I dropped my power cord on the keyboard of my HP Pavilion dv7. I took it in to get fixed today and was told that the LCD wire was knocked loose, that was why the color on the display was off. Now that I have returned home I've noticed that the battery is not charging. When I hover over the battery display in the lower right hand corner it says "0% available (plugged in, not charging)". It will briefly switch over to say "0% available (plugged in, charging)" but only for a few seconds before stopping. This was not a problem before I had the computer worked on, as far as I know, but I'm not the most observant of people. What can I do to try and fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Must have been some power cord...anyway...

Sounds like a loose connection between the jack and the power header on the system board. If you feel comfortable (and I mean VERY comfortable) taking apart a laptop, you can attempt to reseat the connections of both the DC jack wire and the monitor. The monitor cable may be accessible by only removing the keyboard, but to reseat the internal power connector you will need to fully disassemble the laptop.

The service manual can be found here
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 Jewelclaw

Jewelclaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I'm that kind of person. The corner of the brick in the middle of the charger was dropped from about 3 feet and smashed directly onto the keyboard. This is why I can't have nice things.

Is this something that could have realistically been knocked loose when they were fixing the LDC wire? Because I'm fairly sure it worked before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users